Plants challenging genetic law

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Law Plants
In summary: Hey. I'm a boilermaker. How's the chocolate shop? That's where we started my pubcrawl when I turned 21, several centuries ago. When did you finish up there? (Purdue, not Harry's.)In summary, the scientists at Purdue University say that plants sometimes select better bits of DNA in order to develop normally even when their predecessors carried genetic flaws. This contradicts at least some basic rules of plant evolution that were believed to be absolute since the mid-1800s since Austrian monk Gregor Mendel initially experimented with peas and saw that traits are passed on from one generation to the next.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
DENVER, Colorado (AP) -- Challenging a scientific law of inheritance that has stood for 150 years, scientists say plants sometimes select better bits of DNA in order to develop normally even when their predecessors carried genetic flaws.

The conclusion by Purdue University molecular biologists contradicts at least some basic rules of plant evolution that were believed to be absolute since the mid-1800s since Austrian monk Gregor Mendel initially experimented with peas and saw that traits are passed on from one generation to the next. [continued]

http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/science/03/23/genetics.discovery.ap/index.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
Great Post Ivan! Purdue scientists certainly make you stop and wonder :rolleyes:
(not that I'm biased, :blushing: I also caught this one in our alumni bulletin)

I wasn't able to view your link at CNN, perhaps that post made it into the bit bucket, here is another site where you may read about this. They also published their findings in Nature, Mar 24 (2005). Here is an http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v434/n7032/abs/nature03380_fs.html.

Wow! Very interesting. Ouabache, thanks for linking to the Nature abstract; I read the original article and they clearly covered all the obvious questions that jumped to my mind. That should keep geneticists and molecular biologists busy for a while. :bugeye:

Ouabache said:
Great Post Ivan! Purdue scientists certainly make you stop and wonder :rolleyes:
(not that I'm biased, :blushing: I also caught this one in our alumni bulletin)

I wasn't able to view your link at CNN, perhaps that post made it into the bit bucket, here is another site where you may read about this. They also published their findings in Nature, Mar 24 (2005). Here is an http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v434/n7032/abs/nature03380_fs.html.

Hey. I'm a boilermaker. How's the chocolate shop? That's where we started my pubcrawl when I turned 21, several centuries ago. When did you finish up there? (Purdue, not Harry's.)

Edit: Guess I should make a token effort to keep this on topic, eh?

OK. If I recall correctly, the thought is that the grandparent DNA is kept sequestered somewhere, for use "if needed" in the F2 generation.

How is it sequestered? as RNA or DNA? In a special organelle? The cellular mechanism for keeping this extra NA from being degraded will be most interesting --- RNA has a short half life in vivo, and non-genomic/non plasmid DNA shouldn't be exceptionally stable either. Certainly surviving for two plant generations (weeks to months or longer) is quite an accomplishment for a vegetative-phase eukaryote. I wonder if the NA is copied during this time frame, or if it is kept completely dormant?

The original link is dead now. http://www.rednova.com/news/science/137968/plants_challenge_genetic_inheritance_laws/ is a current one.

Moonbear, pleased to hear you enjoyed the article. Yes it's always fun learning of new unexpected twists in our collective scientific knowledge.

pattylou: Yup, I'm a boiler. though no longer at W. Laf, however I have noticed at least a couple others on PF who are at Purdue. I can give you details in PM. You also raise some good questions. Hopefully they may be resolved in subsequent studies.

Curious, thanks for your link.. Not sure if you missed it, my post also points to a reference of the article (see underlined blue hypertext).

What is meant by "Plants challenging genetic law"?

Plants challenging genetic law refers to the phenomenon of plants exhibiting traits that do not follow the traditional laws of genetic inheritance. This challenges the commonly accepted principles of genetics and requires further research and understanding.

What are some examples of plants challenging genetic law?

Some examples of plants challenging genetic law include hybrid plants, where the offspring exhibit traits that are not present in either parent plant, and epigenetic changes, where environmental factors can affect gene expression in plants.

What implications does this have for the study of genetics?

This challenges our understanding of genetics and the mechanisms of inheritance. It also highlights the importance of environmental factors in shaping gene expression and the need for further research in this area.

What potential benefits could come from studying plants challenging genetic law?

Studying plants challenging genetic law can lead to a deeper understanding of the complexities of genetics and can potentially lead to advancements in agriculture, such as the development of new crop varieties with improved traits.

How can we further research this phenomenon?

Further research can be conducted through experiments and studies on specific plants that exhibit challenging genetic traits. Advances in technology, such as genetic sequencing, can also aid in understanding the underlying mechanisms behind these phenomena.

Back