1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Plasma characteristics problem

1. Aug 24, 2010 #1
    Hi,
    Please I would like to have some hints on this problem (from plasma processing course):

a) Starting from Eq. (2.4.7) of the textbook, derive an equation for the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution in terms of electron energy.

b) Calculate the rate of ionization of molecular chlorine as a function of mean electron energy using a Maxwellian EEDF and a Druyvesteyn EEDF. Plot the results for the energy range of 2-12 eV. (total cross ectiopn given in other document)

c) What fraction of electrons is capable of performing ionization of molecular chlorine for a Maxwellian EEDF with a mean energy of 3 eV ?

I just need to have some hints first (for question b and c )because, my background is not chemistry and I had to take an advance chemistry class. With some hints I will start working and come back with more work done.

So far I cannot find formula for ionization rate related to cross section.

Thank you

2. jcsd
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted