1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Plasma Current

Tags:
  1. Jul 3, 2014 #1
    Hi all.

I am currently trying to determine the specifications of equipment I need to create a plasma. I am looking to generate a plasma in chamber of Helium at a pressure of about 0.6 Torr. My electrodes are around 17cm apart (giving me a pd of 10 Torr cm). By consulting Paschen curves, I see I need a power supply capable of producing a voltage of 200V. I intend to use continuous DC - not pulsed DC.

However, I cannot seem to be able to find a means of calculating the current which needs to be delivered. Can anyone suggest a means of finding this out?

Thank you in advance for your time.

Best regards,

Smithy

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 4, 2014 #2
    I don't know how to figure out what current you need.

However, I can tell you with experience how to create plasma cheaply.
    If you pump a noble gas into a microwave, you can create as much plasma as you want.
    This can be rather dangerous though.

Here's a paper on the topic if you want more information. http://pe.org.pl/articles/2012/8/12.pdf

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook