1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Plasma Filamentation

Tags:
  1. Jan 1, 2014 #1

Physicist50

Gold Member

Hi guys,

To celebrate my 29th post (I know!) I wanted to ask an extra-good question, something I've been meaning to ask for a long time... So, following on from my previous post 'Plasma Condensation' (Hm, wonder what I'm studying?) I am going to ask something about something I read in Wikipedia (talk about dodgy sources) that - fingers-crossed - is true. See Here. The article said that applying certain magnetic fields to a plasma can somehow take advantage of the fact that the molecules are ionised and thus rendering it a sort of filament. A: Is this possible? and B: If yes to A how could I work out/find out what magnetic fields to apply?

Thanks in advance - if you answered my question - otherwise, meh. (Meaning a short dismissive grunt)

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2014 #2
    The filaments can move just by waving your hand! You need to get your parents to buy you a plasma lamp to test this out.

4. Jan 22, 2014 #3

Physicist50

Gold Member

Good point, but I really need to know how to turn a newly ionized plasma into a filament in the first place. Explanations, calculations or references of how to do this is perfect.

5. Jan 28, 2014 #4
    You can search Z-pinch, you should find the relevant info.

6. Jan 28, 2014 #5

Physicist50

Gold Member

Wow, thanks maxime.lesur!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook