Plasma Filamentation

Physicist50
Gold Member

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hi guys,

To celebrate my 29th post (I know!) I wanted to ask an extra-good question, something I've been meaning to ask for a long time... So, following on from my previous post 'Plasma Condensation' (Hm, wonder what I'm studying?) I am going to ask something about something I read in Wikipedia (talk about dodgy sources) that - fingers-crossed - is true. See Here. The article said that applying certain magnetic fields to a plasma can somehow take advantage of the fact that the molecules are ionised and thus rendering it a sort of filament. A: Is this possible? and B: If yes to A how could I work out/find out what magnetic fields to apply?

Thanks in advance - if you answered my question - otherwise, meh. (Meaning a short dismissive grunt)

Answers and Replies

The filaments can move just by waving your hand! You need to get your parents to buy you a plasma lamp to test this out.

Physicist50
Gold Member
Good point, but I really need to know how to turn a newly ionized plasma into a filament in the first place. Explanations, calculations or references of how to do this is perfect.

You can search Z-pinch, you should find the relevant info.

Physicist50
Gold Member
Wow, thanks maxime.lesur!