Plasma Frequency of Bulk Silver in Terahertz Range

In summary, there is no one agreed upon value for the plasma frequency of silver. Depending on the doping concentration, the plasma frequency can range from 138 nm to 9.2 ev.
luke
Does anyone know where I can find measured values for the plasma frequency of bulk silver? I would like them to be for light in the Terahertz range. I have looked in all type of book of optical constants and I have searched many different articles. Just a suggestion of where to look would be nice. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah I have searched google. My only problem is that I have seen values that range from 1300 THz to 24 THz. To just have a value that is within an order of magnitude would be good. Thanks for the reply

thank you for your help since the suggestion to do a google search lead me to an article which states "For bulk silver a value of 1 / τ = 2.4 × 10^13 s− 1, is the common textbook value used to fit the plasmons resonance near 400 nm." Well this reminded me that the plasma frequency depends on the wavelength but for what I am doing I do not need the plasma frequency for any wavelength I just need it for a single wavelength. So I think this problem is solved since I was searching for something I didn't need.

Thanks again

plasma frequency of silver

The plasma frequency of silver is 2.17 *10^15 Hz or 138 nm. This is calculated from the equation plasma frequency = sqrt(4*pi*N*e^2/m_0), where N is the number of electrons per cm^3, e = 4.8E-10 esu, m_0 is the electron mass m_o=9.11E-28 grams. The plasma frequency will be in Hertz or 1/sec.

Tau is the momentum scattering time. A good explanation is in Mark Fox's book "Optical Properties of Solids".

Dr Transport said:
do a google search under silver plasma frequency...

Brilliant! A simple yet effective way to find the answer to everything!

Plasma frequency for silver : 3.75(eV)-3.80(eV)

reference:
1. Phys. Rev. 132, 1599 - 1602 (1963)
2. Phys. Rev. Lett. 5, 470 - 472 (1960)

I try to use the formula suggested by Marcie, using n=5.86*10^22 (cm^-3) (from the book by Ashcroft) and I get 8.99(eV).

Well, I hope someone can tell me why the formula doesn't work. I found an article saying that there is a reflection minimum at 9.2(eV). See :Phys. Rev. 121, 1100 - 1103 (1961). I am not sure if the 9.2 eV has anything to do with the calculated 8.99eV.

The equation in Ashcroft & Mermin is for the case of a free electron gas in the presence of a uniform positive background (i.e. the jellium model). It is only an approximation of the real system, so it will never give you the "correct" answer. It does a pretty good job though, especially for simple metals at STP.

for quantasham,
For pure SIlver it will be the value you calculated. But for doped Silver which is a semiconductor its value is nearly 9 ev.

I need plasma frequency for all the doped semiconductor for my research. My question is
1) Is there a range for maximum and minimum doping of a semiconductor?
2) Plasma fy= sqrt(4piNe^2/m0); Is N the doping concentration in case of doped semiconductor?
3) how to convert frequency in Hertz to ev?

Kindly reply

Dr Transport said:
do a google search under silver plasma frequency...
Thank you for wasting my time. My unrelated google search for 'Plasma frequency of silver' has this discussion as the first hit. Your useless reply has contributed in destroying the internet. Good job.

1. What is the plasma frequency of bulk silver in the terahertz range?

The plasma frequency of bulk silver in the terahertz range is approximately 9.1 x 1012 hertz.

2. Why is the plasma frequency of bulk silver important to study?

The plasma frequency of bulk silver is important to study because it is a fundamental property that affects the behavior of light in silver. It also has applications in fields such as optics, electronics, and materials science.

3. How is the plasma frequency of bulk silver determined?

The plasma frequency of bulk silver can be determined experimentally by measuring the reflectance or transmittance of light at different frequencies and analyzing the data using the Drude model or other theoretical models.

4. What factors affect the plasma frequency of bulk silver?

The plasma frequency of bulk silver is affected by factors such as the density of electrons in the material, the dielectric constant, and the structure of the silver atoms. It can also be influenced by external factors such as temperature and pressure.

5. What are the practical applications of the plasma frequency of bulk silver in the terahertz range?

The plasma frequency of bulk silver in the terahertz range has practical applications in technologies such as terahertz imaging, spectroscopy, and communication. It is also used in the development of metamaterials and plasmonic devices for various applications.