Plasma Induced UV Laser for the VASIMR instead?

In summary, the VASIMR plasma rocket engine uses high-powered radio waves to efficiently ionize argon gas and produce the plasma needed for propulsion. While UV lasers may be efficient in ionizing gases at atmospheric pressure, they may not be the best choice for this specific application due to the nature of noble gases and the already efficient system in place.
JoeOh
I'm sure most of you on this board know what the VASIMR plasma rocket engine that is being prepared to be tested on the ISS. I read that high-powered radio waves are used to heat the argon gas to the plasma state of matter and then the superconducting magnets eject the superheated gas out of the magnetic nozzle to produce the thrust (~1lb).

I also know that the Helicon antenna uses a lot of power (5kw) to produce 1 kilowatts worth of radio waves to heat the argon to the plasma state.

My question is that would a UV laser be more efficient in producing the plasma needed to make this work? I know that UV lasers are great at ionizing gases at Earth's atmospheric pressure. Maybe there is another benefit to using this system. Other than heat, there tends to be little "waste" with lasers.

Science news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for bringing up this interesting topic. I am always excited to discuss and explore new technologies in space propulsion.

Firstly, I would like to clarify that the VASIMR plasma rocket engine is not being prepared to be tested on the ISS, but rather it has already been tested on the ISS in 2015. The engine has been in development for over 30 years and has gone through various stages of testing and improvements.

Now, to answer your question about the use of UV lasers in producing the plasma for the VASIMR engine. While UV lasers are indeed efficient in ionizing gases at Earth's atmospheric pressure, they may not be the best choice for producing the plasma needed for the VASIMR engine.

The VASIMR engine uses argon gas as its propellant, which is a noble gas and does not easily ionize. Therefore, it requires a significant amount of energy to ionize the argon gas and turn it into plasma. This is where the high-powered radio waves come in. They are able to efficiently ionize the argon gas and produce the high-temperature plasma needed for the engine to work.

On the other hand, UV lasers may not be as efficient in ionizing argon gas as they are in ionizing gases at atmospheric pressure. This is because the UV laser would need to be focused and concentrated to produce enough energy to ionize the argon gas. Additionally, the UV laser would also need to be continuously operated, which can be a challenge in the vacuum and extreme conditions of space.

Furthermore, the VASIMR engine already has a highly efficient system in place with the use of superconducting magnets to eject the plasma out of the nozzle. Introducing a UV laser system would add complexity and weight to the engine, which could potentially affect its performance.

In conclusion, while UV lasers may have their benefits in other applications, the current system of using high-powered radio waves to produce the plasma for the VASIMR engine seems to be the most efficient and practical option. However, as with any technology, there is always room for improvement and further research and development may lead to advancements in the VASIMR engine and its propulsion system.

1. What is a Plasma Induced UV Laser?

A Plasma Induced UV Laser is a type of laser that uses a plasma, or ionized gas, to generate ultraviolet (UV) light. This type of laser is often used in high-powered applications, such as propulsion systems for spacecraft.

2. How does a Plasma Induced UV Laser work in the VASIMR?

In the VASIMR (Variable Specific Impulse Magnetoplasma Rocket), a Plasma Induced UV Laser is used to generate a plasma beam that is directed through a magnetic nozzle. This plasma beam creates thrust and propels the spacecraft forward.

3. What are the benefits of using a Plasma Induced UV Laser in the VASIMR?

The use of a Plasma Induced UV Laser in the VASIMR allows for a more efficient and powerful propulsion system. It also reduces the need for traditional rocket propellants, making it more cost-effective and sustainable for long-duration space missions.

4. How is the Plasma Induced UV Laser powered in the VASIMR?

The Plasma Induced UV Laser in the VASIMR is powered by a combination of electricity and gas. The gas is ionized to create the plasma, and the electricity is used to excite the plasma and generate the UV light.

5. What are the potential applications of a Plasma Induced UV Laser in the VASIMR?

In addition to propelling spacecraft, the Plasma Induced UV Laser in the VASIMR could also be used for other space exploration purposes, such as asteroid mining and satellite maintenance. It could also have potential applications in other industries, such as laser cutting and welding.