1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Plasma Microwave Experiment

1. Aug 19, 2014 #1

Physicist50

Gold Member

Hi everyone,

I am about to enter a local Science Fair and my project revolves around creating plasma in a microwave. This is a great experiment, all you do is stick a lighted match in a cork, (or something to hold the match in place) put it in the microwave with a glass beaker over the match and switch it on. The resulting effect is a large 'blob' of plasma in the top of the beaker. But I was wondering, when this happens is it the air surronding the match being ionised, or is it the Phosphorus and and/or Potassium Chlorate in the match head?

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 19, 2014 #2
    Well, even with my very minimal knowledge about plasma, I know that plasma is formed by ionized gas(air), nowhere in the Wikipedia page did it mention Phosphorus or Potassium Chlorate! That was a joke.. But really, I would say the air is being ionized if you truly have created plasma. My answer is probably not what you were looking for but I thought I'd give my two cents since nobody else has commented at the time I was composing this.

4. Aug 20, 2014 #3

Physicist50

Gold Member

Thanks TheSatirist, you probably gave about 10 cents there, not just 2

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook