1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Plasma on space shuttle

1. Nov 20, 2011 #1
    How exactly is plasma generated when space vehicles reenter earth's atmosphere? How do the ions show up? I get how the air drag creates the initial heat, but from there I do not know. Have been searching the net for about 30min and came up with nada.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2011 #2

boneh3ad

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

When you get that hot, diatomic gases like oxygen and nitrogen begin to dissociate and you end up with with a bunch of ions floating around.

4. Nov 20, 2011 #3
    Can someone confirm this? I was under the impression that the pressure, not the heat was the initiator

5. Nov 20, 2011 #4

boneh3ad

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You need energy for a gas to ionize. Pressure itself doesn't provide that sort of energy. However, the extreme compression that exists near the nose (and a few other areas) of hypersonic vehicles causes the gas to heat up and the heat leads to ionization. It is true that it gets that hot as a result of pressure changes, but it is the heat itself that causes ionization.

6. Nov 20, 2011 #5
    Awesome, thanks for the clarification!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook