What is the spectrum of a plasma outside the visible range?

In summary, the spectrum of a plasma outside the visible range refers to the range of electromagnetic radiation emitted by a plasma that is not within the visible light spectrum. This includes ultraviolet, infrared, and radio waves. The spectrum can be used to study the properties and behavior of plasmas, which are highly ionized gases, in various environments such as in space or in laboratory settings. Understanding the spectrum of plasma outside the visible range is important for applications in fields such as astrophysics, materials science, and plasma physics.
piareround
So I friend of mine got into this interesting discussion about different kinds of plasmas in particular the various colors andhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plasma_parameters" of various ions (*mainly magnitude of frequency and velocity equation). One interesting question we both had was about the possibility of a plasma whose primary spectrum included stuff outside the visible. Other than possible star examples, where the plasma has an very high temperature, we both could not think of a normal ion or laboratory situation where the plasma might emit in a spectrum outside visible.

So my question to you all was do you know any examples, laboratory-based or otherwise, of when a plasma's electromagnetic radiation lies outside the visible spectrum?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
piareround said:
So my question to you all was do you know any examples, laboratory-based or otherwise, of when a plasma's electromagnetic radiation lies outside the visible spectrum?

I don't know much about this field myself, but I've heard of work done on ultra-cold plasma.

http://physics.aps.org/synopsis-for/10.1103/PhysRevLett.101.195002

piareround said:
So I friend of mine got into this interesting discussion about different kinds of plasmas in particular the various colors andhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plasma_parameters" of various ions (*mainly magnitude of frequency and velocity equation). One interesting question we both had was about the possibility of a plasma whose primary spectrum included stuff outside the visible. Other than possible star examples, where the plasma has an very high temperature, we both could not think of a normal ion or laboratory situation where the plasma might emit in a spectrum outside visible.

Er... look at the Hydrogen spectrum that you could get out of a simple hydrogen gas discharge tube that we use in a typical undergraduate laboratory. There's a reason we ask the students to look at the Balmer series - it is the only series where the transition is in the visible range. The Lyman and Paschen series, for example, are not. But they are certainly there!

See http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/tables/hydspec.html

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is plasma outside the visible?

Plasma outside the visible refers to the state of matter in which electrons are separated from their atoms, creating an ionized gas. This plasma is not visible to the human eye, as it exists at extremely high temperatures or low pressures.

2. How is plasma outside the visible created?

Plasma outside the visible can be created through various means, such as heating a gas to a high temperature, subjecting it to an electric field or strong electromagnetic radiation, or through nuclear reactions. It can also occur naturally in phenomena such as lightning and the aurora borealis.

3. What are some applications of plasma outside the visible?

Plasma outside the visible has a wide range of applications, including in the fields of energy, medicine, and technology. It is commonly used in plasma TVs and neon signs, as well as in plasma cutting and welding. It also has uses in various medical treatments, such as sterilization and cancer therapy.

4. What are the properties of plasma outside the visible?

Plasma outside the visible has unique properties that distinguish it from other states of matter. These properties include high conductivity, the ability to be manipulated by magnetic fields, and the generation of light and other forms of radiation. It also has a high energy density and can exhibit behaviors similar to both gases and liquids.

5. How does plasma outside the visible affect our everyday lives?

Plasma outside the visible plays a significant role in our everyday lives, from powering our electronic devices to enabling medical treatments. It also has potential for use in renewable energy sources and space propulsion systems. Additionally, understanding plasma outside the visible is crucial for studying and predicting space weather and the behavior of stars and other celestial bodies.