Plasma physics and E&M

• Thread starter 1a2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    plasma
1a2
I liked my previous courses in statistical mechanics and fluid dynamics, however I don't really like E&M, especially at the Jackson level. I am thinking about doing research in plasma physics. Would I hate plasma physics if I didn't like electrodynamics? Or is that not an issue and does plasma physics use stat mech and fluid dynamics more than electrodynamics?

Answers and Replies

jasonRF
Science Advisor
Gold Member
It can likely depend on the particular field of research to some degree, but my experience specializing in space plasma physics in graduate school was that E&M was the most important. However, most plasma models are either 1) kinetic theory which involve a mix of statistical physics and E&M, or 2) fluid models which are a mix of fluid dynamics and E&M. So fluid dynamics and stat mech can be helpful (although many plasma physicists learn kinetic theory in a plasma context, not necessarily in a more general setting).

Take a look at some papers in the journal "Physics of Plasmas" and you will get a feel for the range of research topics.

Jason