Plasma Physics: Stat Mech, Fluid Dynamics or Electrodynamics?

In summary, research in plasma physics often requires a strong understanding of both electrodynamics and statistical mechanics, with some areas leaning more heavily towards one or the other. However, many plasma models combine elements of both, making knowledge of fluid dynamics and kinetic theory also valuable. This can be seen by looking at research topics in the journal "Physics of Plasmas."
1a2
I liked my previous courses in statistical mechanics and fluid dynamics, however I don't really like E&M, especially at the Jackson level. I am thinking about doing research in plasma physics. Would I hate plasma physics if I didn't like electrodynamics? Or is that not an issue and does plasma physics use stat mech and fluid dynamics more than electrodynamics?

Physics news on Phys.org
It can likely depend on the particular field of research to some degree, but my experience specializing in space plasma physics in graduate school was that E&M was the most important. However, most plasma models are either 1) kinetic theory which involve a mix of statistical physics and E&M, or 2) fluid models which are a mix of fluid dynamics and E&M. So fluid dynamics and stat mech can be helpful (although many plasma physicists learn kinetic theory in a plasma context, not necessarily in a more general setting).

Take a look at some papers in the journal "Physics of Plasmas" and you will get a feel for the range of research topics.

Jason

1. What is plasma?

Plasma is a state of matter in which atoms or molecules are ionized, meaning that they have lost or gained electrons and have become electrically charged. It is often referred to as the fourth state of matter, after solid, liquid, and gas.

2. What is the most important equation in plasma physics?

The most important equation in plasma physics is the Boltzmann equation, which describes the behavior of a plasma in terms of the distribution of particles with different velocities and energies.

3. What is the difference between stat mech, fluid dynamics, and electrodynamics in plasma physics?

Statistical mechanics (stat mech) deals with the behavior and properties of a large number of particles in a plasma, while fluid dynamics focuses on the motion and interactions of the plasma as a whole. Electrodynamics is concerned with the electromagnetic forces and fields that govern the behavior of charged particles in a plasma.

4. What are some real-world applications of plasma physics?

Plasma physics has many practical applications, including plasma TVs, fluorescent lights, and fusion reactors. It is also used in various industrial processes, such as plasma cutting, welding, and surface treatments.

5. How does plasma physics contribute to our understanding of the universe?

Plasma is the most common state of matter in the universe, and many astronomical phenomena, such as stars and galaxies, involve plasma. Therefore, studying plasma physics helps us gain a better understanding of these cosmic processes and the evolution of the universe.