1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Plasma Physics

  1. Dec 27, 2009 #1
    What are some U.S. & European Universities that have a good graduate program for studying Plasma Physics? I am specifically interested in application to fusion.

    I know Princeton has the plasma laboratory, but that might be too competitive for me.
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 27, 2009 #2
    If you're looking specifically at fusion applications, you might also consider looking at the engineering departments. Specifically, mechanical, nuclear, and electrical engineering departments will sometimes house applied plasma research.

    I think UC San Diego had some work in this area a few years back. Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute also has programs in this area.
  4. Dec 27, 2009 #3
    Theres a graduate program in Nuclear fusion Science and Engineering Physics.
    Its an erasmus mundus program. check it out
    http://www.em-master-fusion.org/index.asp [Broken]
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  5. Dec 27, 2009 #4


    User Avatar
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

    There's MIT's program, but that's probably competitive like the one at Princeton
    http://web.mit.edu/space/www/ - space plasmas

    The Plasma Theory and Simulation Group

    Nuclear, Plasma, and Radiological Engineering | Engineering at Illinois | University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
    http://npre.illinois.edu/ - not sure how strong it is at the moment

    University of Wisconsin - Madison - Plasmas and Fusion Technology
    Plasma Physics Group
    http://plasma.physics.wisc.edu/mst/html/mst.htm [Broken]

    Plasma, Pulsed Power, and Microwave Laboratory Homepage!
    U Michigan - http://www-ners.engin.umich.edu/labs/plasma/

    Institute of Fusion Studies - U. of Texas, Austin

    Columbia University Plasma Physics Lab

    The University of Iowa - Department of Physics and Astronomy

    Plasma Sciences Laboratory (PSL) at Auburn U

    Stanford Plasma Physics Laboratory - SPPL

    Plasma Physics group @ West Virginia University

    Institute for Plasma Research - University of Maryland, USA (actually one I considered 27 years ago).

    The UK and EU have programs

    If you feel like a change of hemispheres :biggrin:
    APP - Applied and Plasma Physics, University of Sydney, Australia

    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  6. Dec 27, 2009 #5
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook