MHD Equilibrium: Prove P+B2/8π

In summary, in an MHD equilibrium state in a pinch with flux and Bθ(r) and Bz(r), the equation for pressure is d/dr(P + B2/8π) + Bθ2/4πr - ρ( u2θ/r)= 0. This equation can be derived from the MHD equilibrium equations (1) and (2) for a (r,θ,z) system, where J is the current density and B is the total magnetic field. To solve for pressure in a θ-pinch, we can use the equation d/dr( P(r) + Bz2(r)/8π) = 0, which can be derived by equating J x B with ∇
QuarkDecay

Homework Statement

Prove that in an MHD equilibrium state in a pinch with flux and Bθ(r) and Bz(r), the equation for pressure is;
d/dr(P + B2/8π) + Bθ2/4πr - ρ( u2θ/r)= 0

B is the total Magnetic field, uθ(r) the velocity of plasma, ρ= density, and solving in a (r,θ,z) system

Homework Equations

MHD equilibrium equations ( solution for z and θ pinches)
(1) ∇P= (J x B)/c
(2) ∇ x B= (4π/c)J

Edit;

The MHD equlibrium equation when there's flux is

ρ(u∇)u= (j x B)/c -∇P
That I apparently have to use instead of (1)
3. The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to solve the problem with the θ-pinch, that has a solution for Pressure; d/dr( P(r) + Bz2(r)/8π) = 0

We calculate the J first, from equation (2), by calculating the ∇ x B, with ∇= ∂/∂r r^ + 1/r(∂/∂θ) θ^ + ∂/∂z z^ and B only in the z^ axis, B-> B(r) z^= Bz(r)

Then we calculate the J x B ( Jθ= -c/4π (dBz/dr ),and equate it from (1) like;
∇P = (JxB)/c, and here ∇P=dPr/dr
dPr/dr= (JxB)/c = -1/4π (dBz/dr =>
=> d/dr( P(r) + Bz2(r)/8π) = 0

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
But I don't know how to calculate the pressure of a θ-pinch from the MHD equilibrium equation.I have to assume Bθ2(r)/4πr, but I don't understand why and from what equation that part comes from.

1. What is MHD equilibrium?

MHD equilibrium refers to the state of a plasma (a gas composed of charged particles) in which the forces acting on the plasma are balanced, resulting in a stable configuration. This equilibrium is important in understanding the behavior of plasmas in various applications, such as fusion reactors and space physics.

2. What does P+B2/8π represent in the equation for MHD equilibrium?

P+B2/8π is a term in the equation for MHD equilibrium that represents the pressure of the plasma and the magnetic energy density. This term represents the forces that are acting on the plasma, and in equilibrium, it is equal to the other forces in the equation.

3. How can P+B2/8π be proven in MHD equilibrium?

P+B2/8π can be proven in MHD equilibrium using mathematical and physical principles, such as the equations of magnetohydrodynamics (MHD) and the laws of conservation of energy and momentum. These principles are applied to the plasma to determine the forces acting on it and ensure that they are balanced in equilibrium.

4. What are some applications of MHD equilibrium?

MHD equilibrium has various applications in both scientific research and practical technologies. Some examples include the study of plasma behavior in fusion reactors, the design of plasma-based propulsion systems for spacecraft, and the understanding of solar and space plasma phenomena.

5. How is MHD equilibrium related to plasma stability?

MHD equilibrium is closely related to plasma stability, as a stable equilibrium state is necessary for a plasma to remain stable. If the forces acting on a plasma are not balanced, it can lead to instabilities and disruptions in the plasma, which can have serious consequences in certain applications.