Design Plasma Reactor: Expert Help Needed

In summary, the conversation is about a young designer who is attempting to design a plasma reactor that could potentially make nuclear power obsolete. The designer has a lot of the design figured out in theory but is struggling with determining the type of plasma needed to emit a large amount of thermal energy with minimal materials. The designer acknowledges their limited knowledge of physics due to their inexperience and lack of schooling. They also discuss the concept of creating a vacuum chamber to harness the thermal energy emitted by the plasma, and the fact that plasma requires energy and cannot generate more than it consumes unless it undergoes a reaction like fusion.
BlackDawnJake
I am a young designer and attempting to design a plasma reactor. I have a lot of the design figured out, in theory, but my main problem is the type of plasma I would need to use that emits a large amount of thermal energy with as little materials needed to maintain efficiency. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated, because I have a limited knowledge of physics due to my inexperience and schooling(or more accurately the lack there-of)

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi BlackDawnJake,

What do you mean by a "plasma reactor"? What are your goals and what do you expect the device to do?

Drakkith said:
Hi BlackDawnJake,

What do you mean by a "plasma reactor"? What are your goals and what do you expect the device to do?
Essentially creating a vacuum chamber and harnessing the thermal energy emitted by the plasma in the chamber. My design, in theory, could potentially make nuclear power obsolete.

BlackDawnJake said:
Essentially creating a vacuum chamber and harnessing the thermal energy emitted by the plasma in the chamber. My design, in theory, could potentially make nuclear power obsolete.
Where does the plasma get its energy for your design?

BlackDawnJake said:
Essentially creating a vacuum chamber and harnessing the thermal energy emitted by the plasma in the chamber.

Plasma has to be created, which requires energy. And you can't get out more than you put in unless your plasma is undergoing some kind of reaction, like fusion.

My design, in theory, could potentially make nuclear power obsolete.

Let's be honest with each other here. Do you really believe that you've created a design that could do away with nuclear power when you yourself have stated that you have no experience or schooling in physics?

Likes Zacarias Nason

1. What is a plasma reactor?

A plasma reactor is a device used to create and control a plasma, which is a highly ionized gas with charged particles. It is commonly used in various industrial, research, and energy applications.

2. What is the purpose of a plasma reactor?

The main purpose of a plasma reactor is to produce and manipulate plasma for specific purposes. This can include materials processing, energy production, chemical synthesis, and waste treatment.

3. How does a plasma reactor work?

A plasma reactor typically uses an electric field or electromagnetic waves to ionize and energize a gas, creating a plasma. The plasma is then controlled and directed using magnetic fields or other methods to achieve the desired outcome.

4. What are the components of a plasma reactor?

A plasma reactor consists of a gas inlet, an energy source (such as electrodes or microwaves), a containment vessel, and a gas outlet. It may also have additional components for controlling and monitoring the plasma, such as magnetic coils and sensors.

5. What expertise is needed to design a plasma reactor?

Designing a plasma reactor requires knowledge and expertise in plasma physics, engineering, and materials science. It also requires understanding of the specific application and desired outcome of the reactor. Collaboration with experts in these fields is often necessary to create an effective design.