Plasma shields like in star trek will they be possible

• Thread starter DrDoom514
  • Start date
Interesting point that the shields were made to protect FROM plasma weapons rather than being composed of plasma. Are the writers still alive to ask which they intended??? (Not that it matters - just curious)

Drakkith
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Interesting point that the shields were made to protect FROM plasma weapons rather than being composed of plasma. Are the writers still alive to ask which they intended??? (Not that it matters - just curious)

What shields are you referring to?

The term plasma shield has been used to describe a defensive shield for the ship in StarTrek. What if the term mean the shield was designed to protect from plasma "rounds" from a weapon rather than being a shield created using a plasma? In other words the shield is shielding from damage caused by an external plasma from elsewhere.

Drakkith
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Tell me how a plasma round would work first and why it would be dangerous to a ship.

Since there's no scientific basis to any of it, it really doesn't matter. I'm just curious about the original intent because it seem that it could be either a shield made of plasma which seems pretty much impossible or one made to be impervious to a plasma, assuming such a thing could be projected from an enemy ship.

But of course it is interesting to consider if such a weapon is possible but not the point of the question which is, first could the point be to protect the ship from a plasma weapon, and, if so, how could that be done if such a weapon could be created, which hasn't yet been discussed.

The concept of a plasma shield does not make sense if you are trying to shield a phyiscal missile. However, the Starship Enterprise will be attacked by high energy beams, of particles or photons (phasors). A plasma shield makes alot of sense in this case. A magnetic field can be used as a vessel and it can be filed with a plasma to act as a shield very similar to the van allen belts. Radiation will be scattered by the plasma. The plasma can absord and dissipate the energy very effectively whereas a metal shield would melt. Even today if we were to go to mars on a manned mission plasma shields would probably be needed because of the solar flares.

palsmashield
what if you could contain a gas inside a field, plasma is a gas that can increase in density/viscosity...its scientifically probably possible to stop a bullet because the earth exists as example, it has a shield impenetrable to bullets, our atmosphere cannot be penetrated by bullets, it requires a huge mass in order of several million bullets in mass, travelling at many times speed of bullet out of a gun to have enough mass left to barely harm the bumper of an old model T. 2 spaceships stationary fighting each other will not have weapons of such velocity or mass. The earth is only several kilometer of dense air if you even call it that since we live inside of that section of air.

Drakkith
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
what if you could contain a gas inside a field, plasma is a gas that can increase in density/viscosity...

Plasma is not a gas, but I think I get what you are saying.

its scientifically probably possible to stop a bullet because the earth exists as example, it has a shield impenetrable to bullets, our atmosphere cannot be penetrated by bullets, it requires a huge mass in order of several million bullets in mass, travelling at many times speed of bullet out of a gun to have enough mass left to barely harm the bumper of an old model T. 2 spaceships stationary fighting each other will not have weapons of such velocity or mass. The earth is only several kilometer of dense air if you even call it that since we live inside of that section of air.

You cannot contain plasma in a field like this. The magnets that create the magnetic field to contain the plasma would be OUTSIDE the plasma, as charged particles move away from the stronger areas of a magnetic field.

Ring Gate
I am strongly considering a type of external hot plasma around some ships in my novel. Having looked at some research that's been done I found out that the density of the plasma between electrodes varies with the frequency employed. So the higher the AC frequency, the denser the field will become. That also might address the comment about attracting ferrous asteroids since AC should act neutrally if not even be slightly repulsive.

I saw the article mentioned earlier and it can hold air from crossing, which is a low density gas, but at extremely high frequencies and perhaps with dust plasma, there may be sufficient density to perhaps not vaporize a high speed object, but rather like some military strategies for ICBM defenses, which just throw something like BB shot into its path, it lets the high speed impact caused by the projectile to destroy itself in passing through the pack. At least the explosive component will be destroyed passing through the 'shield' in our case. And if dense enough, perhaps it will be slowed or blunted enough to shred enough so that it will not impact on one single point on the hull; reducing damage, maybe significantly.

For the energies I am enabling and high frequencies for my story "Ring Gate", it's enough to be 'reasonably effective' though not impervious. Of course real-life and your mileage may vary. It works much better to diffuse laser beams than stop kinetic-based weapons. And there are ways to be mostly protected with small open windows to see passed the shield clearly, which would also be a consideration for a real plasma shied.
But I can't divulge all my secrets here. :approve:

OCR