Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Plasma Spectroscopy

1. May 10, 2017 #1
    Hi,

I recently started working on MPD Thrusters. During a recent experiment, spectral images (uncalibrated) were obtained.

The thruster is made of copper and the propellant is argon. These two elements will be the source of emission spectral lines.

I need help to interpret them. I have attached spectrums and profiles.

Thank you.

Spectrum 1
    gogcQwM.jpg

Spectrum 2
    r4jvzEX.jpg

Spectrum 3
    W8R7G5s.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. May 10, 2017 #2
    I'm not sure exactly what you mean by interpret but you may find this website (http://physics.nist.gov/PhysRefData/ASD/lines_form.html)really useful in determining where the lines are coming from if you ever manage to calibrate the spectrometer for the exact wavelengths. Even if you don't, I think you should be able to find the brightest lines from C and Ar between roughly 400 and 700nm and roughly compare these with the image? Other than that, from what I can see there isn't too much more you can get from an un-calibrated image, I may be wrong though.

4. May 10, 2017 #3
    I would like to know the source of each line. Whether emitted by argon or copper?

5. May 10, 2017 #4
    Try collecting the largest relative intensities (Rel. Int. column on the NIST website) from both the copper and Argon spectral line tables as I linked and compare the distances between them with the distances you obtained in pixels. This doesn't seem to be too accurate while it is un-calibrated so maybe even just do a quick google image search and match the brightest lines by eye?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted