Interpreting Copper & Argon Emission Spectral Lines with Plasma Spectroscopy

In summary: Try collecting the largest relative intensities (Rel. Int. column on the NIST website) from both the copper and Argon spectral line tables as I linked and compare the distances between them with the distances you obtained in pixels. This doesn't seem to be too accurate while it is un-calibrated so maybe even just do a quick google image search and match the brightest lines by eye?
jagadeeshr
Hi,

I recently started working on MPD Thrusters. During a recent experiment, spectral images (uncalibrated) were obtained.

The thruster is made of copper and the propellant is argon. These two elements will be the source of emission spectral lines.

I need help to interpret them. I have attached spectrums and profiles.

Thank you.

Spectrum 1
gogcQwM.jpg

Spectrum 2
r4jvzEX.jpg

Spectrum 3
W8R7G5s.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure exactly what you mean by interpret but you may find this website (http://physics.nist.gov/PhysRefData/ASD/lines_form.html)really useful in determining where the lines are coming from if you ever manage to calibrate the spectrometer for the exact wavelengths. Even if you don't, I think you should be able to find the brightest lines from C and Ar between roughly 400 and 700nm and roughly compare these with the image? Other than that, from what I can see there isn't too much more you can get from an un-calibrated image, I may be wrong though.

Mzzed said:
I'm not sure exactly what you mean by interpret but you may find this website (http://physics.nist.gov/PhysRefData/ASD/lines_form.html)really useful in determining where the lines are coming from if you ever manage to calibrate the spectrometer for the exact wavelengths. Even if you don't, I think you should be able to find the brightest lines from C and Ar between roughly 400 and 700nm and roughly compare these with the image? Other than that, from what I can see there isn't too much more you can get from an un-calibrated image, I may be wrong though.
I would like to know the source of each line. Whether emitted by argon or copper?

jagadeeshr said:
I would like to know the source of each line. Whether emitted by argon or copper?
Try collecting the largest relative intensities (Rel. Int. column on the NIST website) from both the copper and Argon spectral line tables as I linked and compare the distances between them with the distances you obtained in pixels. This doesn't seem to be too accurate while it is un-calibrated so maybe even just do a quick google image search and match the brightest lines by eye?

1. What is plasma spectroscopy?

Plasma spectroscopy is a scientific technique used to analyze the emission and absorption of light by a plasma, which is a state of matter where atoms and molecules are ionized.

2. How does plasma spectroscopy work?

In plasma spectroscopy, a high-energy plasma is created and then the light emitted by the plasma is analyzed using a spectrometer. The resulting spectral lines can reveal information about the elements present in the plasma and their energy levels.

3. What is the importance of interpreting copper and argon emission spectral lines?

Copper and argon are commonly used elements in plasma spectroscopy due to their strong and distinct emission lines. By interpreting these spectral lines, scientists can determine the composition, temperature, and other properties of a plasma, which is crucial for understanding various physical and chemical processes.

4. What are some challenges in interpreting copper and argon emission spectral lines?

One of the main challenges in interpreting these lines is the presence of overlapping lines from other elements or impurities in the plasma. This can make it difficult to accurately identify and analyze the emission lines of copper and argon. Additionally, the intensity and shape of the spectral lines can be affected by factors such as plasma temperature and density.

5. How is interpreting copper and argon emission spectral lines useful in practical applications?

Interpreting these lines can be useful in a variety of practical applications, such as in plasma diagnostics for industrial processes and in the analysis of stellar spectra. It can also aid in the development of new plasma-based technologies, such as plasma thrusters for space propulsion and plasma-based lighting sources.