Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Plastic deformation of rings

1. Jul 15, 2004 #1

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I am designing a machine called a Ring Expander. Simply put, it's a machine used in metal forging operations to stretch metal rings (15 x 15cm cross section, 30cm inside diameter, 60cm outside diameter) by about 20mm on the diameter. It does this by forcing a cone through a set of jaws, which expand as the cone passes though them, the workpiece having been positioned around the jaws.

What I need to know is how to calculate the force required to expand these rings! Approximate dimensions are given above, materials include stainless steel and titanium, but also 718 alloy (which I believe has a yield stress below 600MPa at the temperatures I'm looking at). I played around with looking at the force required to cause yield at a single cross section, but as these rings are circular I suspect that my assumptions were too simple.

Any help would be appreciated! My engineering knowledge only goes as far as elastic behaviour of rings.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted