Finding a Plastic Parts Heater for Safe & Quick Warm-up

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a way to heat plastic parts quickly and safely for assembly. The options of using a heat gun and putting the metal pins in the freezer are mentioned, but there are concerns about slowing down the assembly process. The conversation ends with the speaker considering trying the freezer method.
cdowney
Hello,

I am looking for something to keep plastic parts warm and pliable. We have plastic discs that need metal pins snapped into some grooves and they snap wayyy to tight. We checked with a vendor and the material is still within spec, but I cannot change the material

It takes one minute to snap all the fittings in place. So we need the parts up to a stable 120 degrees F relatively quick, but on the other hand the parts can get too hot to handle if left under the lamp for too long and we are then looking at a fire hazard and many burnt fingers.

I have tried this already:

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/GE-LIGHTING-Lamp-2V294?Pid=search

We tried a setup that heats the parts up to 120 degrees F one at a time. They each would sit under the lamp for a minute. The part lost its heat by the time you took it out and assembled it, and if we made it any hotter we wouldn't be physically able to touch the plastic discs.

I need a quick cheap way to heat these plastic parts. I was looking at picking a lower wattage bulb or maybe a long bar lighting component so we can expose more parts to the heat for a longer period of time at a safer level. Even if I could have 2 stations: One "on deck" and one "up to bat" I can lower the wattage of bulb, double the exposure time, and make the process a lot safer.

Just looking for ideas. I thank you in advance for any input/advice!

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I haven't seen anything like that yet. The only problem with that is it would slow down our assembly line with people holding the gun and snap fitting the pins. There just wouldn't be enough hands

I just might try that freezer idea though!

1. How do I know what size plastic parts heater to get?

The size of the plastic parts heater you need will depend on the size and quantity of the parts you need to warm up. Measure the dimensions of your parts and consult the manufacturer's recommendations for the appropriate size heater. It's always better to go slightly larger than necessary to ensure efficient and safe warming.

2. Are there any safety precautions I should take when using a plastic parts heater?

Yes, it is important to follow all safety precautions provided by the manufacturer. Make sure to always use the heater on a flat, stable surface and keep it away from any flammable materials. Do not touch the heater while it is in use and always unplug it when not in use.

3. How long does it take for a plastic parts heater to warm up?

The time it takes for a plastic parts heater to warm up will depend on the type and quantity of parts being warmed, as well as the power of the heater. Generally, it can take anywhere from a few minutes to half an hour for the parts to reach the desired temperature.

4. Can I use a plastic parts heater for all types of plastic?

No, it is important to check the compatibility of the plastic parts heater with the type of plastic you are using. Some heaters are only suitable for specific types of plastic, while others may be more versatile. Always consult the manufacturer's recommendations to ensure safe and efficient use.

5. Is it necessary to use a plastic parts heater for warming up plastic parts?

It is highly recommended to use a plastic parts heater for safe and quick warm-up. Using other methods, such as a heat gun or oven, can be dangerous and may cause damage to the plastic parts. A plastic parts heater is specifically designed for this purpose and will ensure consistent and safe warming of the parts.