Understanding Charge in Physics: Solving a Problem with Plastic Wrap

In summary, "Plastic Wrap Charge" is the phenomenon of plastic wrap becoming electrically charged. It is caused by triboelectric charging, where two materials rub against each other and transfer electrons. While the charge itself is not dangerous, it can potentially damage electronic devices or cause a small shock. To prevent it, one can use a grounding mat or wrist strap and consider using a different material to wrap items. "Plastic Wrap Charge" is a common occurrence, especially in dry environments or when the plastic wrap is stretched or pulled quickly.
indieindie85
Hi, sorry if this is in the wrong forum.

I have a physics problem I do not understand:

Jim is removing a piece of plastic wrap from a large roll. However, he is finding that this is difficult because the piece of plastic wrap keeps trying to stick to the roll. If the charge on the piece of plastic wrap is +3*10^-7 C, what is the charge on the roll of plastic wrap? How do you know this?

I know the plastic wrap roll is negative charge, and that's about it.

Help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Bump.

1. What is "Plastic Wrap Charge"?

"Plastic Wrap Charge" is the phenomenon in which plastic wrap acquires an electrical charge when it is unwrapped from a roll or container.

2. What causes the "Plastic Wrap Charge"?

The "Plastic Wrap Charge" is caused by a process called triboelectric charging, in which two materials rub against each other and transfer electrons, resulting in one material becoming positively charged and the other becoming negatively charged.

3. Can "Plastic Wrap Charge" be dangerous?

The "Plastic Wrap Charge" itself is not dangerous, but it can create static electricity that can potentially damage electronic devices or cause a small shock when touched.

4. How can I prevent "Plastic Wrap Charge"?

To prevent "Plastic Wrap Charge", you can use a grounding mat or wrist strap when handling plastic wrap. You can also try using a different material, such as aluminum foil, to cover or wrap your items.

5. Is "Plastic Wrap Charge" a common occurrence?

Yes, "Plastic Wrap Charge" is a common occurrence and can happen with any type of plastic wrap. It is more likely to happen in dry environments or when the plastic wrap is stretched or pulled quickly.