1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Plastics,etc questions

  1. Nov 17, 2005 #1
    Sorry to bother everyone
    I want to ask a couple of questions that i am stuck on
    What are plastics used for? What are some of their properties that make them so valuable as materal? what advantages does plastic have over traditional materials like wood, metal, stone, etc ? last one
    Explain how to make plastic from milk?

    COULD SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME I KNOW THESE MAY BE EASY QUESTIONS BUT IM ONLY IN YEAR 8
    PLEASE REPLY ASAP
     
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2005 #2
    Many are polymers and oil is available in large quantities and at a cheap extraction cost. 90% of oil is used for energy purposes and the other 10% on materials, though I can't say which % of that is used to make plastics. The demand for this energy based oil cuts downs on the cost of plastics.
     
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?



Similar Discussions: Plastics,etc questions
  1. Bonding etc. (Replies: 4)

  2. Lattice positions etc (Replies: 1)

Loading...