Plate bending program (Help to spot the problem)

In summary, the speaker has created a program in Fortran for calculating plate bending with quadrilateral finite element and is experiencing issues with the results not matching those from commercial packages. They are seeking help in identifying and resolving the problem, and have been advised to carefully examine their code, use a debugger, compare results with hand calculations, consult with other experts, and consider using a different programming language or package.
Ronankeating
hi all,

I've created the small program which deals with the calculation of plate bending with quadrilateral finite element, program is written with Fortran. I've included all the source files that need to compile the program ,I've even added the executable file (along with input file Quad_1.dat) which produces the results.
The problem is, although I'm %100 sure that process is as I've implemented, it doesn't produces the correct results when compared with other commercial packages. When solving with comercial packages, I 'm purely idealizing the problem to exactly match with my situation, so there is no chance that commercial package is taking into account something that I don't inlcude.

Can anybody help me to spot where the problem is ?

Regards,

Attachments

• plate bending.zip
    95.7 KB · Views: 191
Engineering news on Phys.org

As a fellow scientist, I would first like to commend you on your efforts in creating this program. It takes a lot of dedication and skill to write a program in Fortran.

Regarding your question, it is always important to carefully examine your code and make sure that all the necessary equations and variables are included. Sometimes, even small errors can lead to incorrect results. Here are a few suggestions that might help you identify the problem:

1. Check your input files: Make sure that all the necessary input parameters are included and that they are in the correct format. Also, double check that the input file you are using is the correct one for your specific problem.

2. Debug your code: Use a debugger to go through your code step by step and see where the problem might be occurring. Look for any logical errors or mistakes in your calculations.

3. Compare your results with hand calculations: It can be helpful to manually calculate the results for a few simple cases and compare them with the results from your program. This can help you identify any errors in your code.

4. Consult with other experts: Reach out to other scientists or engineers who have experience with similar problems. They might be able to provide valuable insights or point out any errors in your approach.

5. Consider using a different programming language or package: If you are unable to identify the problem in your code, it might be worth trying a different approach using a different programming language or a commercial package. This can help you confirm whether the issue is with your code or with the problem itself.

I hope these suggestions help you in identifying and resolving the issue with your program. Keep persevering and don't hesitate to seek help from others in the scientific community. Good luck!

1. What is a plate bending program?

A plate bending program is a computer software that simulates the bending and deformation of a plate under various loads and boundary conditions. It is commonly used in structural and mechanical engineering to design and analyze structures such as bridges, buildings, and machines.

2. How does a plate bending program work?

A plate bending program uses mathematical equations and algorithms to calculate the stresses, strains, and displacements of a plate under different loading and support conditions. It takes into account factors such as material properties, plate thickness, and applied loads to accurately model the behavior of the plate.

3. What are the benefits of using a plate bending program?

Using a plate bending program allows engineers to quickly and accurately analyze the structural behavior of a plate without the need for physical testing. It also allows for easy modification of parameters to optimize the design and ensure structural integrity.

4. What are some common problems that may arise in a plate bending program?

Some common problems in a plate bending program include numerical instability, convergence issues, and incorrect boundary conditions. These issues can lead to inaccurate results and should be addressed by carefully checking input parameters and adjusting them as needed.

5. How can I spot and fix problems in a plate bending program?

To spot and fix problems in a plate bending program, it is important to thoroughly review the input parameters and compare them to known solutions or other simulation results. It may also be helpful to consult with other engineers or experts in the field for guidance and troubleshooting.