Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Plate cap

1. Sep 30, 2004 #1
    Hi All,

I've been doing a few problems with plate capactors and I have this new one which introduces a voltage U. I haven't seen an example with a voltage befopre so I'm not sure where to start it. I'm hoping someone could start me off.

The problem goes like this: Find the electric field between the plates when a voltage U is applied to the cap. The cap consists of 2 plates (surface area F, distance d apart). Between the plates is a conducting plate of charge Q.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2004 #2

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

THe capacitance is found as (epsilon)(area)/(distance). Also capacitance is defined as the ratio of (charge)/(potential). Lastly the relationship with the electric field is E=(potential)/(distance).

I think (someone check me on this) The charged conductor in between the plates will add to the electric field of the capacitor,(in the manner of an infinite charged plane) so there will be a different value for the field above and below this conductor, since it will add on one side and subtract on the other.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?