1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Plate Capacitors

1. Feb 2, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The plates of a capacitor have an area of 0.4m2 and are separated by a distance of 0.5 micrometers. The material between the two plates is air with a dielectric constant of 1.0 One plate of the capacitor is given the charge of 4[tex]\muC[/tex]. The voltage across the capacitor is, in volts:

2. Relevant equations

C=[tex]\epsilon[/tex](A/d) C=q/[tex]\Delta[/tex]V
    3. The attempt at a solution
    So far I've been trying to calculate the capacitance with the first equation and then use the second equation for finding the change in voltage. I keep coming up with the wrong answer, though. Help please!
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 2, 2010 #2

Homework Helper

Show your calculations.
  4. Feb 2, 2010 #3

5. Feb 2, 2010 #4
    I just looked at my calculations and cnai just say sorry if they are a little garbled. I'm having trouble getting used to the way you do calculations on the website. Let me know if you would like me to do them again. Thanks!!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook