1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Platform and pulley system

1. Feb 3, 2015 #1
    A girl stands on a platform and pulley system. The masses of the platform, girl and pulley are M, m and u respectively. The rope is mass-less. Let the girl pull up on the rope so that she accelerates a upwards. What is the tension of the rope? What is the normal force between the person and the platform? WHat is the tension connecting the pulley and the platform?

I think that I should start from T - F = ma, but I really am kind of lost. I hope someone can help me find the accurate solution.

I uploaded an image of the exercise. Please help :)

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2015 #2

Nathanael

Homework Helper

You should explain your thinking when asking for help. How did you get this equation? What is it saying?

4. Feb 3, 2015 #3

Suraj M

Gold Member

I have a small question Nathanael, I'm a bit confused with the problem too. Will the platform even move?? I'm sorry if this is a stupid question!

5. Feb 4, 2015 #4

Nathanael

Homework Helper

It's not a stupid question. I can see how one would think the platform may not move, because the harder you pull up on the rope, the harder your feet push down on the platform. But the upwards force on the platform from pulling is greater than the increased force downward from pushing with your feet.
    For the platform to move upwards (or more specifically, for it to accelerate upwards) there has to a net upwards force acting on the system. If the other end of the rope was attached to the platform, and the person was pulling up on it, then clearly it could not move upwards. But since the end of the rope is attached to the ceiling, an upwards external force acts on the platform (and person) allowing upwards acceleration.
    P.S.
    I like your avatar.

6. Feb 4, 2015 #5

Suraj M

Gold Member

I'm sorry but i still don't get how the upward force would be more than the downward. Could you explain?

7. Feb 4, 2015 #6

Nathanael

Homework Helper

I purposely left the specifics of that detail out so as not to ruin it for the OP :) I will explain it to you in a private message.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted