Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Play around with their computer's port ?

1. Jun 22, 2004 #1
    Can you tell me what applications people can make to play around with their computer's port ? or is it just a dead one waiting for some connections to the objects outside ?
    Thank you very much.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 22, 2004 #2
    Anyone can give any ideas?
  4. Jun 22, 2004 #3

Staff: Mentor

You're not making any sense. What port? There are parallel, serial, USB, ethernet, virtual, etc.
  5. Jun 22, 2004 #4

Science Advisor

Perhaps his computer came with a bottle of Portugese fortified wine, also known as port. I would suggest drinking it or, if the situation arises, hitting a burgler with it.

6. Jun 22, 2004 #5
    Would you please tell me about parralel one's aplication ? Anything funnie for me to play around with it ? Please tell me...

Thanks Russ a lot in advance
  7. Jun 22, 2004 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The parallel port is just an eight bit wide bi-directional TTL level digital bus. You can read or write any digital data with it.

- Warren
  8. Jun 22, 2004 #7
    But Can you give me some more details about how to write and read data and how to connect cables etc from/to the port to/from which device???? Any applications you have done or have heard of ?

9. Jun 22, 2004 #8

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

10. Jun 24, 2004 #9
    Duh. :wink:

Seriously though, we're all here to ask and answer questions, but when there are hundreds upon hundreds of websites with this information that you can access with a simple google search and you still ask us we get a little cranky.
  11. Jun 24, 2004 #10

In a nutshell:

Its the rather large port on the back of your PC. Nowadays it is mostly used to connect a printer to your computer. It is possible to network two PCs via parallel ports, but that is not very fast. In general, USB and PS/2 have mostly replaced parallel ports in day-to-day usage.
  12. Jun 24, 2004 #11
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?