Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Playing god

1. Mar 2, 2004 #1
    Imagine the age old conundrum: you are given omnipotence and omniscience, but you still have human desires. Even a very moral person would end up painting themselves into a cosmic corner under these conditions.

I invite you to play god, genie or fairy Godmother by selecting a course of action which realizes metaphysical desires to best benefit humanity, or else to do the least damage. I believe that most folks will eventually "unwish" as much as they wish.

You others, show the folly of dream turned nightmare for those who would be god.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 3, 2004 #2
    This is a very interesting invitation and being human I cannot help being tempted.

But if I were God then in my infinite wisdom I would know nothing matters and therefore let everything and everyone be.

4. Mar 3, 2004 #3
    I would've said: "behave" or something like that. Also, I would've tought them what i know.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2004
  5. Mar 3, 2004 #4
    Do you mean right now? Or do we get to start over from the past and work our way forward?

Either way, you would have to micromanage it...baby steps and all that.

6. Mar 3, 2004 #5

hypnagogue

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you were truly omnipotent, you could just keep doing it over until you got it right, a la Groundhog Day. You would know when you got it right since you would also be omniscient.

But anyway, I think your proviso that you would still have human desires is probably inconsistent. An omnipotent and omniscient human would no longer really be a human psychologically.

7. Mar 3, 2004 #6
    Let's say the "human" desire is purely altruistic - to make world peace, like Lisa Simpson's failed attempt with The Monkey's Paw. What can you see possibly going wrong?

8. Mar 3, 2004 #7
    First off, you can ignore trying to make people happy. Happy usually isn't healthy. Plus, magical solutions don't work, because human minds and societies don't work that way. The best thing you could possibly do is make it so that hard work actually has a payoff.

9. Mar 3, 2004 #8
    Would you say one role of imagination is as "magic of the mind," by itself paradoxical, being without physical bounds?

10. Mar 3, 2004 #9
    I have imagined having the power of god and smiting left and right (usually when encountering one of the many really poor drivers that infest your roads).

But then I think of the possibility that that the occasional person I smote might actually have a good reason or excuse for being a flaming idiot that one time I happened to be there. I have come to the conclusion that it would be essential to know the truth (TRULY know the truth always) and not just be all powerful and invincible.

On the other hand I would settle for being all powerful and invincible.

11. Mar 3, 2004 #10
    You're on the right track, Visitor!

12. Mar 3, 2004 #11
    My first course of action as God would be to destroy everything ever made by mankind.
    Basically wipe out the previous adminstration's failed attempts.
    Then start off with a clean slate.

13. Mar 4, 2004 #12
    If I were to become a god I would make myself forget what I know and begin the path of learning it all over again.

14. Mar 11, 2004 #13
    I like that answer!
    (partly because it is similar to what happens in a story I am working on )

15. Mar 11, 2004 #14
    It makes sense to me, so many people think they have to have some sort of purpose or ultimate goal. I think we have free will to choose are purpose and our goal is to simply travel down the path, which happens to be the funnest part anyways.

16. Mar 12, 2004 #15
    what would be the motivation for learning it over again?

17. Mar 12, 2004 #16
    The fact that wonder, discovery and learning are the most precious things in life (to me at least) and once you know everything, none of that exists anymore.

First imagine how boring it would be to know absolutlely everything for scores of millenia.

Now...

Imagine having a first kiss again.
    Having sex for teh first time again.
    Seeing a butterfly for the first time again.
    Seeing a firefly, a flower, a ladybug, lightening, snow, the sky...
    Imagine learning again, for the first time, how to walk, speak, ride a bicycle...
    Imagine what it would be like to do everything you have ever done again, for the first time.

The more you learn, the less wonder the world holds.
    The more wonder the world holds, the more wonderful it is.

18. Mar 12, 2004 #17
    Exactely

19. Mar 12, 2004 #18
    while an omnipotent being could snap its fingers so that it's not bored, i wonder... maybe that's what already has happened? ;)

20. Mar 12, 2004 #19
    Isn't it possible that the universe's infinitude allows us myriad experiences, no two alike? What use is reliving events exactly, as if caught in a Groundhog Day? Eventually we have memory to enjoy the good pasttimes, and forget the bad.

21. Mar 12, 2004 #20
    Well, it wouldn't be like groundhog day, because you wouldn't have an memory of the past, that's the whole point.
    No, I don't think the universe IS infinite and given eternity, if you go to the same theme park, regardless of how big it is and how many rides there are, you would have eventually done everything to death.
    That's just it... for God, existence IS Groudhog day. Just on a bigger scale.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?