Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Playing the religion card

1. Aug 16, 2008 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Anyone watching the Evangelical political forum on tv tonight with Obama & MCCain?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080816...es_religion;_ylt=Av.J8ssC6bLiHy4A27FOQ8kGw_IE

Also worth watching, click the link on the left Related Video "Religion Counts".

From Politico

http://news.yahoo.com/s/politico/20080816/pl_politico/12574;_ylt=AqE.nG69j2SPdXpM3lPsCA2tOrgF

The event can be seen from 8 to 10 p.m. on the cable news channels. It's also available via computer at MySpace.com/Impact, ReadersDigest.com and SaddlebackCivilForum.com.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 16, 2008 #2

Evo

Looks like this starts at 7PM CST. I'm very interested in who sells their soul in the worst way in order to suck up to the religious right. I already know they will both sell out, I just want to see how sickening the display is. :grumpy:

I have taken my blood pressure meds. Ooops, it's started.

4. Aug 16, 2008 #3

turbo

Gold Member

McCain will suck up shamelessly to the religious right. Obama's only job is to make idiots realize that he is a Christian and not a Muslim, as the chain emails are claiming. McCain has the bigger problem because the religious right is getting pretty sick of being played for patsies by the GOP, and they may be willing to vote Obama if they perceive that Obama's policies (not just abstinence) might reduce the rate of abortion. We'll see...

5. Aug 16, 2008 #4

Evo

Ok, only 20 minutes in and Obama has given himself over to Jesus Christ as his savior. How disapointing.

6. Aug 16, 2008 #5

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For those without a TV, you can watch the forum live at cnn.com and msnbc.com (oops...in addition to the links provided in the OP).

7. Aug 16, 2008 #6

Evo

Ok, Obama is doing very well.

He tapped danced around the abortion issue a bit too much. He stuck his foot in his mouth on the gay marriage issue by defining marriage as a "union between a man and a woman", then after loud applause realized he'd just screwed up and tried to backtrack some. He did finally come around in support of stem cell research, showing a bit of backbone. Kudos to him on that.

All in all, he gets a thumbs up so far.

8. Aug 16, 2008 #7

Evo

Good round for Obama. Ok, now for McCain.

9. Aug 16, 2008 #8

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Actually, I don't think he backtracked at all. He said exactly what I've heard him say in several previous occasions.

http://pewforum.org/religion08/compare.php?Issue=Gay_Marriage

10. Aug 16, 2008 #9
    hmm, how is MCcain doing?

11. Aug 16, 2008 #10

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The people in the audience are loving him.

12. Aug 16, 2008 #11

Evo

Ok, McCain started off on the wrong foot pandering to the host and his church, but he's come back. His strong stance on needing nuclear power is good.

Obama answered a couple of these questions by simply saying "I opposed the war in Iraq", McCain actually had good answers.

13. Aug 16, 2008 #12
    Obama is being neutral and trying to attract as many voters as he can from different classes. Is MCcain doing the same? Or is he appearing as the one with the strong views and stances?

14. Aug 16, 2008 #13
    I have been following this off and on all day (CNN, NBC and whatever was on C-Span with Huckabee) and, honestly, I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I voted for either of them.:yuck:

15. Aug 16, 2008 #14
    Going after religion ... :yuck:

Both are jerks (Obama is little less :rolleyes:). I only listened to McCain for few seconds (terrorists), and all he seemed to be doing was spreading hate and fear.

16. Aug 16, 2008 #15

Evo

Oh, "BOO, BOO". I'll explain in a bit. Bad on abortion, I am pro-choice.

All of this is all just based on my personal opions, BTW, it has absolutely no bearing whatsoever on the candidate's qualifications.

17. Aug 16, 2008 #16
    MCcain just said : "No one is allowed to get away with killing thousands of American innocents".....Mr.MCcain, do you think going to war and killing thousands of Iraqii innocents is okay?

18. Aug 16, 2008 #17
    :rofl:
    I stopped watching at that point .

19. Aug 16, 2008 #18

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

McCain is appearing stronger - also in my opinion, sometimes talking like a third grader.

When asked about how to deal with evil, Obama talked about recognizing and confronting it, but with humility. And recognizing that a lot of evil is commited in the name of defeating evil. He talked about evil abroad and evil in our cities and towns.

McCain's answer to the same question was that he will chase Osama bin Laden to the gates of Hell and destroy al Qaeda. And he added that the primary battleground in the fight against evil is in Iraq.

Circumspect clapping to Obama's answer; thunderous applause to McCain's.

What else is new?

20. Aug 16, 2008 #19
    and they didn't find Osama, they didn't find WOD, they only found some Iraqii innocents and loads of oil....I'm sure MCcain likes that.

21. Aug 16, 2008 #20
    I don't see any strong opinion in his post, just an observation. But, I agree that Obama's answer is more rational. Even though I didn't listen to him but I also had the same answer.

McCain's is more like loading teachers with guns to solve school shootings.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?