Playing with Bosons: Exploring Feynman Lectures Vol. 3, Ch. 6 & 5

• Thread starter AdrianMay
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bosons
In summary, the conversation discusses the Feynman Lectures Vol 3, Chapter 6 and its explanation of spin 1/2 particles going through Stern-Gerlach filters. The arguments for spin 1 particles in the preceding chapter are also mentioned. The conversation then goes on to describe an experiment with spin 1 particles and asks for an explanation of the expected results.
AdrianMay
Hi folks,

I just read the Feynman Lectures Vol 3, Chapter 6 about spin 1/2 particles going through various arrangements of Stern-Gerlach filters. I think I get it, but I'm not sure why the same arguments don't apply to the spin 1 particles in the preceding chapter.

The chapter goes something like this (skip to ##### if you already read it): first define the axes: Z is upwards and is the direction of the non-uniform magnetic field that splits the beam. Y is along the splitter, presumably from your left hand to your right hand, and X points at you. The splitters split the beam in two so you can see how bright they are and block them as you will, and then recombine them.

Suppose we start with a beam of particles polarised along X or Y, then watch them split and recombine and pop out the other end still knowing which way they were polarised. The only way the two beams could remember that is in the relative phase of the two beams. We can define +X polarisation as the two being in phase, -X as 180' out of phase, and +/-Y as 90/270' out of phase (any other convention will also do.) Then he considers putting another splitter at various funny angles after the first and deduces that:

1) a rotation around the z axis must leave the magnitudes of +Z and -Z alone but should rotate X in and out of Y so
|+Z> -> |+Z> . exp (i@/2)
|-Z> -> |-Z> . exp (-i@/2)
does the trick. E.g. with a 90' rotation, the beams would have gone 45' in opposite directions so their relative phase has swapped X for +/-Y as required.

2) other rotations may not turn X into Y or vice versa so they must leave the relative phase alone. But they should swap Z for X or Y. So if you start with all |Z+> and rotate 90', you should get equal magnitudes of |Z+> and |Z-> but in phase for a rotation about Y:
|+Z> -> |+Z>.cos(@/2) + |-Z>.sin(@/2)
|-Z> -> |+Z>.-sin(@/2) + |-Z>.cos(@/2)

3) and out of phase for a rotation about X:
|+Z> -> |+Z>.cos(@/2) + |-Z>.i.sin(@/2)
|-Z> -> |+Z>.i.sin(@/2) + |-Z>.cos(@/2)

#####

Now then, my question is how that would all look look if we do similar stuff with the spin-1 particles of the previous chapter. First I'd like to know how the experiments would turn out:

First split the beam from the oven into |+X>, |0X> and |-X>, filter it down to |+X>, shove it through an unfiltered Z splitter/recombiner just to admire the three beams (are they all the same or is the middle one brighter?) then put another splitter after that at various orientations (turned around Z, Y or X by e.g 90' or 180') and measure everything you can.

What happens? I think it should remember being |+X> at least up until the rotation, but what comes after that I have no idea. Can anybody explain what the experimental results would be?

Thanks in advance,
Adrian.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can also do the experiment with spin-1 particles if you find suitable projectiles. If you want the spin to come from an elementary particle (instead of being a composite) then you are out of luck, none of the elementary bosons are suitable for the experiment.

1. What are bosons and why are they important in physics?

Bosons are a type of elementary particle that have integer spin. They are important in physics because they play a crucial role in the fundamental forces of nature, such as the electromagnetic force and the weak and strong nuclear forces. They also help to explain the behavior of particles at the subatomic level.

2. What does the Feynman Lectures Vol. 3, Ch. 6 & 5 cover?

The Feynman Lectures Vol. 3, Ch. 6 & 5 cover the topic of quantum mechanics, specifically the behavior of particles at the subatomic level. It also delves into the concept of bosons and how they interact with other particles.

3. How did Richard Feynman contribute to our understanding of bosons?

Richard Feynman was a renowned physicist who made significant contributions to our understanding of bosons. He developed a mathematical framework, known as Feynman diagrams, which helped to explain the interactions between bosons and other particles. He also proposed the concept of virtual particles, which are temporary bosons that mediate the fundamental forces of nature.

4. Are there different types of bosons?

Yes, there are different types of bosons, each with their own unique properties. The most well-known type is the photon, which is the carrier particle of the electromagnetic force. Other types include the W and Z bosons, which mediate the weak nuclear force, and the gluon, which mediates the strong nuclear force.

5. What are some practical applications of studying bosons?

Studying bosons has numerous practical applications, particularly in the field of technology. For example, the study of photons has led to the development of technologies such as lasers and fiber optics. Understanding the behavior of bosons also has implications for quantum computing and communications. Additionally, the discovery of the Higgs boson has helped to confirm the Standard Model of particle physics and advance our understanding of the universe.