1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Playing with operators

1. May 2, 2004 #1
    Determine the permutation (x_1,x_2,...,x_40) of numbers 1,2,...,40 such that the expression x_1 + x_2 / x_3 - x_4 * x_5 + x_6 / x_7 - x_8 * x_9 + ... + x_38 / x_39 - x_40
    has the maximal possible value. (the operators +,/,-,* alternate regularly.) It can be generalized for 4n (where n is an arbitrary natural)?

But I must confess, that I have a lot of problems with the simpler task... I think that more than one permutation give the same maximum. I have one suggestion, but I can't prove that it belongs to the best of all.
    It's based on:
    let (a,b,c,d,e,f) be a permution of (1,2,3,4,5,6)
    minimum of ab + cd + ef occurs for 6*1 + 2*5 + 3*4
    maximum of a/b + c/d + e/f occrus for 6/1 + 5/2 + 4/3
    But the generalization...

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. May 10, 2004 #2
    I think that the maximum looks like:
    40+(39/20)+(38/21)+...(30/29)-(1*18)-(2*17)-...-(10*9)-19 and the generalization is (according to my opinion) similar... It's easy to prove that numbers 40,39,...,30 must be in numerators of fractions for reach the maximum, but I don't know how to prove that the "position" of other numbers as optimal as possible for reach the maximum...

Thanks for each help that I really need.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?