Spin Tops: Why Do They React 90° Later?

• Thread starter Rockazella
  • Start date
This is known as precession, but it is difficult to understand without complex mathematical analysis. In summary, spinning tops move in the direction perpendicular to the force exerted on them, and this phenomenon can only be fully understood through six dimensional simplectic math. As selfAdjoint eloquently stated, the way of a top when forced is one of the great mysteries of the universe.
Rockazella
I'm not sure what this behavior is technically called, but why do spinning tops (or anything else with some angular momentum) react to forces put on them 90 degrees later?

Physics news on Phys.org
"90 degrees later" I can't understand.
I guess that the axis of rotating body moves in the direction perpendicular to the direction of the force exerted on the body. To analyze this problem, we need to calculate tedious equations of rotating solid body. I don't have time and patience enough to get the correct answer. Sorry!

It's called precession. It's hard to see how it works without math. Vector analysis in 3-D gives a sort of view of it, but to really get it you have to study six dimensional simplectic math.

Three things are mysteries, yea three things I know not: the way of particles when entangled, the way of the universe when accelerated and the way of a top when forced.

Originally posted by selfAdjoint
Three things are mysteries, yea three things I know not: the way of particles when entangled, the way of the universe when accelerated and the way of a top when forced.

Is this a quote from anyone of consequence?

eNtRopY

1. What are spin tops made of?

Spin tops are typically made of materials such as wood, plastic, or metal. The top portion is usually made of a denser material, while the bottom is made of a lighter material to aid in the spinning motion.

2. How do spin tops work?

Spin tops work by utilizing the principle of gyroscopic precession. When a force is applied to the top, it begins to spin and the axis of rotation starts to tilt. This causes a reaction force that keeps the top upright and allows it to spin for a longer period of time.

3. Why do spin tops react 90° later?

This is due to the angle of precession, which is determined by the ratio of the top's height to its radius. In most spin tops, this ratio is close to 1:1, resulting in a precession angle of 90°.

4. Can spin tops defy gravity?

No, spin tops cannot defy gravity. They may appear to do so when they are spinning, but they are still affected by gravity and will eventually fall over due to friction and other forces.

5. How can I make my spin top spin longer?

There are a few ways to make your spin top spin longer. First, make sure the surface you are spinning it on is smooth and flat. You can also try adding weight to the top, as this will increase its inertia and allow it to spin for a longer period of time. Additionally, practicing your spinning technique and finding the right balance between spin and tilt can also help extend the top's spinning time.