1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Playing with Vectors

1. May 30, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Q1)
    Let vector B = (5.00m, 65°), let the magnitude of vector C equal (=) the magnitude of vector A, and C has a direction 20° greater than vector A.
    A(dot/scalar product)B = 22.0m^2
    B(dot/scalar product)C = 39.0m^2

Find magnitude of A and its direction (angle)?

2. Relevant equations
    Bx = Bcosθ
    By = Bsinθ
    Trig

3. The attempt at a solution
    For Q1 I have tried a variety of methods. To obtain a few angles or magnitudes but I am literally stuck, not even sure where to start. I tried to find the angle between B and C to obtain the Magnitude of C which will equal A... afterwards find the angle between A and B with the newly found magnitude (A = C). Maybe that is the wrong approach, but I could not figure out how to find Mag of C without Cx or Cy...

I am not sure how else to transcribe the math I have on paper to this forum, but if this is lacking information a hint in the right direction would be truly appreciated.

Thanks a lot,
    Cd

Last edited: May 30, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. May 30, 2012 #2
    As a hint, one definition of dot product is: $$ A \cdot B=\left\|A\right\| \, \left\|B\right\| \cos \theta $$, where ##\theta## is the angle between the two vectors. I would look for ##\theta## first.

4. Jun 1, 2012 #3
    Like Joffan said, for vectors a andb, ##\mathfrak R\left(\vec a\cdot\vec b\right)=\left\|a\right\| \, \left\|b\right\| \cos \theta##

Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
  5. Jun 1, 2012 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello cdphys. Welcome to PF !

Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
  6. Jun 1, 2012 #5
    Oops! I edited my post!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook