Designing the Perfect PS2 Steering Wheel & Pedal Chair

In summary, the designer is considering designing a chair for Playstation 2 (or other console) users that will make playing games more comfortable. They are also considering incorporating a driving/racing system into the chair.
brandon26
I am doing a project in Design & Technology and intend to design a product that is to be used by Playstation 2 (or other consols) users.
I have a few questions, which I would be very grateful for if I get a few replies:
Do you have a Steering wheel and pedal that you use to play car games with your PS2?

If yes, do you think, that a specially designed chair would help you to play more comfortably with the steering wheel and pedals?

What would the chair have to be like? (e.g. ground level, lean back etc.)

Computer science news on Phys.org
Yes! A special chair would be great. Personally I think the chair should be close to what it is like in an actual car, with respect to the tv, pedals, and wheel. IE, it should be raised to the right level so that your eye sight is horizontal when looking at the tv. Reclining, slightly. The pedals should be not too far below the seat.

Personally I use my regular chair I use for my computer while driving, but a stationary and comfortable seat would be nicer.

So, do you reckon I could base the design of my PS2 chair on that of a standard car seat with some differences, as you mentioned, with respect to TV.
Would it be comfortable if there was a declining surface where the leg can rest? Would that interrupt your control on the pedals?

Just go to the arcade and checkout their driving systems. That's what I would use.

Driving/Racing is my favourite genre so this is definitely a good idea. Are you going to have your own display screens too, yoshi (former techtv modder) designed one like this with 3 monitors, it would be nice to have a set like that at an affordable price.

Thanks everyone. I shall get started on the project then!

1. What are the most important features to consider when designing a PS2 steering wheel & pedal chair?

The most important features to consider when designing a PS2 steering wheel & pedal chair are comfort, adjustability, durability, compatibility, and responsiveness.

2. How can I ensure maximum comfort while using the steering wheel & pedal chair?

To ensure maximum comfort, the chair should have adequate padding and support for the back, arms, and legs. It should also have an adjustable seat and armrests to accommodate different body types and preferences.

3. What materials are best for a durable PS2 steering wheel & pedal chair?

The best materials for a durable PS2 steering wheel & pedal chair are high-quality steel or aluminum for the frame, and a combination of leather and fabric for the seat and padding. These materials are strong, sturdy, and able to withstand the wear and tear of frequent use.

4. How important is compatibility when designing a PS2 steering wheel & pedal chair?

Compatibility is crucial when designing a PS2 steering wheel & pedal chair. The chair should be compatible with various gaming consoles and devices, as well as different steering wheel and pedal sets. This ensures that the chair can be used by a wide range of gamers.

5. How can I make sure the steering wheel & pedal chair is responsive?

To ensure the chair is responsive, it should have a sturdy and stable base, as well as a strong and reliable connection between the steering wheel, pedals, and gaming console. The chair should also have adjustable sensitivity settings to cater to the preferences of different gamers.