Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

PLCs in China?

1. Feb 13, 2007 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Does anyone know or have a reference indicating what PLC [programmable logic controller] brands are popular in China?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2007 #2

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Good luck finding that one out. I would venture a guess that because so many foreign countries set up factories over there that the usual suspects probably have foothold over there as well. I'll ask my electrical cohorts if they have heard anything on the topic.

4. Feb 13, 2007 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

I can ask one of our FAEs in China that question if you like. My company makes control networking solutions that compete with traditional PLCs, and our business is growing quite a bit in China.

What applications are you interested in for the PLC question? Is it mainly for factory automation (if so, what kinds of factories), or some other type of automation?

5. Feb 13, 2007 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks guys.

Aviation manufacturing.

Berkeman, are you offering what was being called soft PLCs?

Last edited: Feb 13, 2007
  6. Feb 13, 2007 #5

berkeman

I'm not sure if that term is applicable to Echelon's LonWorks control networks. They are peer-to-peer, CSMA networks, as opposed to the traditional master-slave PLCs. LonWorks networks are very popular in building control networking, for example. We have a new network technology called Pyxos FT (hey, I didn't make up the name, okay?), which uses TDMA and a master-slave architecture to acheive the determinism and high throughput of more traditional PLCs.

I'll ping our FAE in China with your question. Give me a day or two to get the feedback for you.

7. Feb 15, 2007 #6

berkeman

Turns out this is New Year's week in China, and most places are closed. Our FAE got back to me that she needs to ask around a bit, and won't be able to contact people until next week. I'll let you know what she finds out.

8. Feb 19, 2007 #7

berkeman

Hi Ivan, Here is the reply that I just got from our Asian FAE:

Hope that helps!

9. Feb 19, 2007 #8

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes indeed! I couldn't ask for more.

Thanks. :cool:

It is interesting that we don't see Mitsubishi on the list.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?