PLC Brands Popular in China: A Reference Guide

In summary: I wonder if that's because they don't sell in China or because they don't have a strong presence there. Either way, it's an interesting omission.Thanks!In summary, it seems that the most popular brands for PLCs in China are Siemens and Rockwell. Mitsubishi may not be as popular, possibly because they don't sell in China or because they don't have a strong presence there.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Does anyone know or have a reference indicating what PLC [programmable logic controller] brands are popular in China?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Good luck finding that one out. I would venture a guess that because so many foreign countries set up factories over there that the usual suspects probably have foothold over there as well. I'll ask my electrical cohorts if they have heard anything on the topic.

I can ask one of our FAEs in China that question if you like. My company makes control networking solutions that compete with traditional PLCs, and our business is growing quite a bit in China.

What applications are you interested in for the PLC question? Is it mainly for factory automation (if so, what kinds of factories), or some other type of automation?

Thanks guys.

Aviation manufacturing.

Berkeman, are you offering what was being called soft PLCs?

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
Berkeman, are you offering what was being called soft PLCs?

I'm not sure if that term is applicable to Echelon's LonWorks control networks. They are peer-to-peer, CSMA networks, as opposed to the traditional master-slave PLCs. LonWorks networks are very popular in building control networking, for example. We have a new network technology called Pyxos FT (hey, I didn't make up the name, okay?), which uses TDMA and a master-slave architecture to achieve the determinism and high throughput of more traditional PLCs.

I'll ping our FAE in China with your question. Give me a day or two to get the feedback for you.

Turns out this is New Year's week in China, and most places are closed. Our FAE got back to me that she needs to ask around a bit, and won't be able to contact people until next week. I'll let you know what she finds out.

Hi Ivan, Here is the reply that I just got from our Asian FAE:

It seems that person wants to know the brands of PLCs being used in China. Actually I’m a member of TC124, a technical committee that handles standardization of fieldbus technologies. I review documents passed along in the committee. Popular technologies are Profibus (Profinet), Modbus, ControlNet, Interbus and etc. For the PLC brand, I believe most popular ones are Siemen’s or Controlnet (Rockwell), then it goes to Japanese maker Omron. Since the aviation industry is mission critical, I doubted that Omron plays a role there as Chinese are more likely and willingly to pay for the top brand - we want to use the best. Siemens and Rockwell are certainly the top brands in the industry.

Hope that helps!

berkeman said:
Hope that helps!

Yes indeed! I couldn't ask for more.

Thanks. :cool:

It is interesting that we don't see Mitsubishi on the list.

1. What is a PLC?

A PLC, or Programmable Logic Controller, is a type of computerized control system used in industrial automation. It is designed to control and monitor machinery and processes in manufacturing plants, factories, and other industrial settings.

2. Why is this reference guide focused on PLC brands popular in China?

China is a major manufacturing hub and one of the largest markets for PLCs. Many top global PLC brands have a strong presence in China, and there are also several popular domestic brands that are widely used in the country. This guide aims to provide a comprehensive overview of the most popular PLC brands in China for those working in the industrial automation field.

3. How was the information in this guide gathered and verified?

The information in this guide was gathered through extensive research, including industry reports, market analysis, and interviews with experts in the field of industrial automation in China. All information was carefully verified and cross-checked to ensure accuracy and reliability.

4. What are some factors to consider when choosing a PLC brand?

When choosing a PLC brand, some important factors to consider include the specific needs and requirements of the application, the reliability and performance of the brand, technical support and service availability, and compatibility with other systems and equipment.

5. Can this guide be used as a reference for PLC brands in other countries?

This guide is focused specifically on PLC brands popular in China and may not be applicable to other countries. However, some of the brands mentioned may also have a presence in other countries and could be considered as options for industrial automation projects outside of China.