1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Plea for help with kinetics lab - Urgent

1. Feb 28, 2005 #1
    Plea for help with kinetics lab -- Urgent

I am trying to find a value for the activation energy of the reaction involving potassium permanganate and oxalic acid. I have scoured every free chemistry database on the internet and come up with nothing. Does anyone know how I can calculate this value without using experimental data? Or is there a book that I can find in the library that would contain it? If anyone has access to information I don't, could you please look up this value for me?

This is extremely important.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2005 #2

chem_tr

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Mar 2, 2005 #3

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Don't you have to determine the E(act) from the lab ? Wouldn't getting it from outside be "cheating" ?

5. Mar 2, 2005 #4

chem_tr

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hey, Gokul is right -- It would be cheating... If you are asked to do the experiment and find it this way, don't try anything else. This is strongly discouraged in PF community. The link I gave you again involves lab procedure, if I'm not wrong.

6. Mar 2, 2005 #5
    Why do you want to find out the Activation energy without using experimental data? If you are indeed doing a lab, you should just use only the values available to you, since the teachers wouldn't expect you to be perfect...

As a matter of fact, there is a formula that relates activation energy to the rate of reaction, thus you can determine the activation energy just from your own data. Please explain yourself further before i can give you the formula. Im not sure if im suppose to or not from the posts by Goku and Chem_tr

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?