Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Plea for help with kinetics lab - Urgent

1. Feb 28, 2005 #1
    Plea for help with kinetics lab -- Urgent

I am trying to find a value for the activation energy of the reaction involving potassium permanganate and oxalic acid. I have scoured every free chemistry database on the internet and come up with nothing. Does anyone know how I can calculate this value without using experimental data? Or is there a book that I can find in the library that would contain it? If anyone has access to information I don't, could you please look up this value for me?

This is extremely important.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Mar 2, 2005 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Don't you have to determine the E(act) from the lab ? Wouldn't getting it from outside be "cheating" ?
  5. Mar 2, 2005 #4

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hey, Gokul is right -- It would be cheating... If you are asked to do the experiment and find it this way, don't try anything else. This is strongly discouraged in PF community. The link I gave you again involves lab procedure, if I'm not wrong.
  6. Mar 2, 2005 #5
    Why do you want to find out the Activation energy without using experimental data? If you are indeed doing a lab, you should just use only the values available to you, since the teachers wouldn't expect you to be perfect...

As a matter of fact, there is a formula that relates activation energy to the rate of reaction, thus you can determine the activation energy just from your own data. Please explain yourself further before i can give you the formula. Im not sure if im suppose to or not from the posts by Goku and Chem_tr
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?