Help Needed: Activation Energy for KMnO4 + H2C2O4 Reaction

In summary, you are trying to find the activation energy for a reaction involving potassium permanganate and oxalic acid. You have looked online for a value, but have come up with nothing. If you are doing a lab, you can just use the values that are available to you.
eku_girl83
Plea for help with kinetics lab -- Urgent

I am trying to find a value for the activation energy of the reaction involving potassium permanganate and oxalic acid. I have scoured every free chemistry database on the internet and come up with nothing. Does anyone know how I can calculate this value without using experimental data? Or is there a book that I can find in the library that would contain it? If anyone has access to information I don't, could you please look up this value for me?

This is extremely important.

Thanks!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Does this work?

http://colossus.chem.umass.edu/genchem/chem112/112_Experiment_4.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't you have to determine the E(act) from the lab ? Wouldn't getting it from outside be "cheating" ?

Hey, Gokul is right -- It would be cheating... If you are asked to do the experiment and find it this way, don't try anything else. This is strongly discouraged in PF community. The link I gave you again involves lab procedure, if I'm not wrong.

eku_girl83 said:
I am trying to find a value for the activation energy of the reaction involving potassium permanganate and oxalic acid. I have scoured every free chemistry database on the internet and come up with nothing. Does anyone know how I can calculate this value without using experimental data? Or is there a book that I can find in the library that would contain it? If anyone has access to information I don't, could you please look up this value for me?

This is extremely important.

Thanks!

Why do you want to find out the Activation energy without using experimental data? If you are indeed doing a lab, you should just use only the values available to you, since the teachers wouldn't expect you to be perfect...

As a matter of fact, there is a formula that relates activation energy to the rate of reaction, thus you can determine the activation energy just from your own data. Please explain yourself further before i can give you the formula. I am not sure if I am suppose to or not from the posts by Goku and Chem_tr

What is activation energy?

Activation energy is the minimum amount of energy required for a chemical reaction to occur. It is often described as the energy barrier that must be overcome for a reaction to take place.

Why is activation energy important?

Activation energy is important because it determines the rate at which a reaction will occur. Without enough activation energy, a reaction may not take place at all. Higher activation energy means a slower reaction, while lower activation energy means a faster reaction.

How is activation energy calculated?

Activation energy is calculated using the Arrhenius equation, which takes into account the rate constant, temperature, and frequency factor of a reaction.

What factors affect activation energy?

The temperature, concentration of reactants, and presence of a catalyst are all factors that can affect the activation energy of a reaction. Higher temperatures and concentrations generally lead to lower activation energy, while the use of a catalyst can decrease activation energy even further.

How can activation energy be determined experimentally?

One way to determine activation energy experimentally is by performing multiple reactions at different temperatures and measuring the rate of reaction. The data can then be used to plot a graph of ln(rate) versus 1/T, and the slope of the line will give the activation energy. Another method is by using the transition state theory, which involves analyzing the activation energy through the transition state of a reaction.