1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pleaaaase help me

1. Dec 2, 2004 #1
    hi
    this is my first post,and I hope i get the help I need;)
    equation of curve 2y^2=x^3 find the volume of the solid formed by the complete rotation about the y axis of the region bounded by the curve the y azis and the line with the equation y=2 which lies in the first quadrant,*done this*
    npw i need help in second part of the question
    find also the volume formed when the region is rotated completely about the x axis
    I also have a question would anyone help me and explain what shall we do if the rotation was not 360 about the x axis,but was 180
    thanx in advance:D

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2004 #2

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Rotating about the x axis is mathematically equivalent to swapping x and y in the relation given then rotating about the y axis so that whatever method you used in the first problem should work for the second problem.

Also, rotating halfway will give you half the volume of a full rotation.

4. Dec 2, 2004 #3
    well that is what driving me crazy,because in the second one I tried to make the equation with the y as a subject then squared it and substituted with 2 but it didn't work the answer was wrong:(

5. Dec 2, 2004 #4

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

suggestion: curiosity is more powerful an attraction than academic pity. try stating the problem next time in the title. your current title has been used a lot before, and to me personally is often reason enough to ignore the post.

6. Dec 2, 2004 #5
    hehe:Dok then i will next time i'll post a thread with the title I have a phsycic powers is a math fourm:p that will surely attract some attention

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?