1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pleas help electric field

1. Sep 14, 2005 #1
    pleas help!! electric field

a semi infinite insulting rod carries a constant charge per unit length of lambda. SHow that he electric field at the point P makes an angle of 45 with the rod and that this result is independant of R

[tex] q = \lambda x [/tex]
    [tex] dq = \lambda dx [/tex]

for the Y direction poiting downward
    [tex] dE_{y} = \int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_{0}} \frac{\lambda dx}{R^2 + x^2} \sin{\theta} [/tex]
    [tex] \sin{\theta} = \frac{x}{R^2 + x^2} [/tex]
    [tex] dE_{y} = \int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_{0}} \frac{\lambda R dx}{(R^2 + x^2)^\frac{3}{2}} [/tex]
    [tex] dE_{y} = \frac{\lambda R}{4 \pi \epsilon_{0}} \int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{dx}{(R^2 + x^2)^\frac{3}{2}} [/tex]
    [tex] dE_{y} = \frac{\lambda R}{4 \pi \epsilon_{0}} [\frac{x}{R^2 \sqrt{R^2+x^2}}]_{0}^{\infty} [/tex]
    now im not sure about this integral and whether or not it converges...

for the horizontal pointing left
    [tex] \frac{\lambda R}{4 \pi \epsilon_{0}} \int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{xdx}{(R^2 + x^2)^\frac{3}{2}} [/tex]
    same problem here

please help!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 14, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2005 #2

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The integral is right and the limit to evaluate is almost trivial: pull x² out of the square root.

4. Sep 15, 2005 #3
    ok for the Y part
    [tex] E_{y} = \frac{\lambda}{4 \pi \epsilon_{0}R} [/tex]
    i swhat i got the Y part. Am i right??

for the X part
    i got the same thing.
    However the resultant for these two given a 45 degree angle... however it isn ot independat of R as in
    [tex] E = \sqrt{2} \frac{\lambda}{4 \pi \epsilon_{0}R} [/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?