Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please a Yes or a No

1. Jun 21, 2004 #1
    May I ask you two questions ?
    (1) Do self-assembly and directed assembly mean adaptation and natural selection respectively ?
    (2) Are prebiotic assemblies chemical elements ?

Thanks a lot in advance
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 22, 2004 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes :biggrin:
    You need to explain yourself a little further to what you mean..
  4. Jun 22, 2004 #3

I thought they should be the same meanings as what I have said above but not really sure, therefore I raised some questions to hopefully receiving someone's answers, way of confirmation from a newie anyway...(smile)
  5. Jun 22, 2004 #4
    I am reading an essay about evolution in which the writer used so many terms whose exact meanings I am not able to figure out...
  6. Jun 22, 2004 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ok :) so
    No, I think what is meant is that sponges are able to self-assemble: if you pass them through a sieve so that they are all individuall celled, they will aggregate again to form an organism. Directed assembly must mean forming the different organs in an organism.
    Everything is chemical elements :smile: the author might mean biochemical reactions or physical structures like a cell membrane.
  7. Jun 22, 2004 #6
    Thanks Monique, I misundertood them all, (*o*)
  8. Jun 22, 2004 #7

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

I think this guy is talking about the self-assembly of protobionts, the 4th step in the standard model of abiogenesis. I'll just quote this piece from Biology by Campbell and Reese:

9. Jun 22, 2004 #8
    Many Thanks to you again for this thread and others in which you have helped me out....(smile)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?