• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Please advice me

• Thread starter rukshan
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Dear Friends,

I'm an average international student and applied for middle ranking universities only.

GPA major = 3.70
GPA overall = 3.52
GRE physics = 730 (64%)

I got admission from Uni. of Mississippi and Wayne State university. My research interest is undecided but I like condensed matter. Having milder climate conditions is a gift (but not very important). The rank (recognition) is also important. I don't know much about both. So I would be thankful if one (domestic) can recommend me by considering above points.

Thanks.

Answers and Replies

Wayne State University has an excellent condensed matter physics program.
http://www.physics.wayne.edu//research/cmp.html [Broken]

I'm assuming (from your name) that you are from Asia. Most of the students in the physics and chemistry departments are from India, Sri Lanka, or China. So if indeed you are from one of those countries, that might help becoming acclimated more easily.

Michigan's climate is bearable: harsh winters, mild springs, warm summers, and pleasant autumns.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wayne State University has an excellent condensed matter physics program.
http://www.physics.wayne.edu//research/cmp.html [Broken]

I'm assuming (from your name) that you are from Asia. Most of the students in the physics and chemistry departments are from India, Sri Lanka, or China. So if indeed you are from one of those countries, that might help becoming acclimated more easily.

Michigan's climate is bearable: harsh winters, mild springs, warm summers, and pleasant autumns.
First, thank you very much for your post.
What you assumed is 100% correct. I'm from Sri Lanka. But as far as the recognition & prestige is concerned, I was advised to go to the Uni of Mississippi (By the way I have not accepted any offers yet). Although I said that I like condensed matter, my mind is dwelling among Condenced matter, Astronomy/astrophysics & high energy/nuclear fields.

So what is the most important factor - The recognition of the campus or the best research groups.

Thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe WSU has a more rigorous and larger physics program than Mississippi. Recognition is important, but joining a research group that interests you is more important. Plus, Mississippi doesn't have a "condensed matter physics" research group per se.

Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Frankly, when choosing between Ole Miss and Wayne State, I wouldn't let reputation be a driving consideration - neither school is likely to be confused with Harvard or Princeton - or Wisconsin and Michigan - or even Notre Dame or NYU. It makes more sense to decide which program best suits you without regard to reputation.