1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please advice me

1. Mar 27, 2008 #1
    Dear Friends,

I'm an average international student and applied for middle ranking universities only.

GPA major = 3.70
    GPA overall = 3.52
    GRE physics = 730 (64%)

I got admission from Uni. of Mississippi and Wayne State university. My research interest is undecided but I like condensed matter. Having milder climate conditions is a gift (but not very important). The rank (recognition) is also important. I don't know much about both. So I would be thankful if one (domestic) can recommend me by considering above points.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2008 #2
    Wayne State University has an excellent condensed matter physics program.
    http://www.physics.wayne.edu//research/cmp.html

I'm assuming (from your name) that you are from Asia. Most of the students in the physics and chemistry departments are from India, Sri Lanka, or China. So if indeed you are from one of those countries, that might help becoming acclimated more easily.

Michigan's climate is bearable: harsh winters, mild springs, warm summers, and pleasant autumns.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2008
  4. Mar 27, 2008 #3
    First, thank you very much for your post.
    What you assumed is 100% correct. I'm from Sri Lanka. But as far as the recognition & prestige is concerned, I was advised to go to the Uni of Mississippi (By the way I have not accepted any offers yet). Although I said that I like condensed matter, my mind is dwelling among Condenced matter, Astronomy/astrophysics & high energy/nuclear fields.

So what is the most important factor - The recognition of the campus or the best research groups.

Thanks again.

5. Mar 27, 2008 #4
    I believe WSU has a more rigorous and larger physics program than Mississippi. Recognition is important, but joining a research group that interests you is more important. Plus, Mississippi doesn't have a "condensed matter physics" research group per se.

6. Mar 27, 2008 #5

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2015 Award

Frankly, when choosing between Ole Miss and Wayne State, I wouldn't let reputation be a driving consideration - neither school is likely to be confused with Harvard or Princeton - or Wisconsin and Michigan - or even Notre Dame or NYU. It makes more sense to decide which program best suits you without regard to reputation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?