Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please allow non-members to hide online status

1. Nov 23, 2014 #1
    That you've put this option behind a paywall is creepy as hell. Do the right thing and change it back.

Edit: I'm speaking primarily to the fact that people viewing my profile can see what pages I've viewed recently. That people can see if I'm on site and, if not, when I was last here is also pretty shady.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2014 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

You're on a public forum, so there is nothing "shady" about it. It's always been a Gold perk for as long as I can remember. If you want special privileges, then you have to decide if you want to get Gold membership, there are ways to get Gold privileges other than buying a membership.

4. Nov 23, 2014 #3
    I believe in the old site "set invisible" was a Gold perk as well.

Just about every forum software has activity records. What exactly are you concerned about?

5. Nov 23, 2014 #4
    If you (or anyone here with an account) go to my profile right now it says
    I don't like that. That's information that I'd rather not have publicly available. It's creepy.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2014
  6. Nov 23, 2014 #5

Evo

That's normal for any forum I've been on.

7. Nov 23, 2014 #6
    What makes you think anyone is visiting your profile page? ;) Member pages aren't indexed by search engines so few are viewing your page. If you wish to set extended privacy settings then upgrade to Gold membership. Support PF :)

8. Nov 23, 2014 #7
    btw, it's not a paywall, there are lots of free ways to get Gold membership.

9. Nov 23, 2014 #8
    I think it's an awful policy, and I'm complaining about it. That is all.

10. Nov 23, 2014 #9

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Simple fix ... Don't post. ;)

11. Nov 23, 2014 #10
    Nah, don't recommend that, but rather just find a free way to get Gold. :)

12. Nov 23, 2014 #11

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yea. You're right.

13. Nov 23, 2014 #12

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

hmmm... I have neither a degree in Accounting, nor in Math. But I took two terms of Economics about 25 years ago. What I learned there, prompted me to purchase a lifetime membership here.

As I said;
    Which was apparently in response to Jim's comment:

I'm almost done with the "storage battery":rolleyes: maths. It's looking good. (96% efficiency!)
    Next stop: The patent office. :)
    A $50 investment, is going to make me a trillion* dollars. And I'm positive I could not have done it without PF.

ps. Is my online status visible? I don't want lisab to know that I'm still stalking her. :p

* I may be off by as much as 4 orders of magnitude, but that's still more dough than I've made in this lifetime.

14. Nov 23, 2014 #13

jtbell

If you log on only when you post, and log off immediately after posting, I don't think the forum software can track you while you're browsing.

15. Nov 24, 2014 #14

DataGG

Gold Member

@gopher_p

I sympathize with you. Since the recent news, I've also been a bit obsessed with my privacy/security.. I find the "show the current activity" feature to be completely unnecessary. What's the point of it, really? Why would anyone want to have other people be able to check what they're reading in PF?

Having said that, I don't think Greg is going to add the "hide online status" feature to non-gold members, though I think he should.

Ideally, there would be no gold-accounts but Greg has to support PF or even make money himself, nothing wrong about it. This is his forum after-all. He already removed ads for registered users.

So ya, my suggestion is:

- Buy/get a gold account. It's not that expensive and you also have several free ways of getting it.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
  16. Nov 24, 2014 #15

mfb

2016 Award

That's what I see:
    omcheeto.png

17. Nov 24, 2014 #16

RonL

Gold Member

Ah ha, it's you that keeps bumping into me:eek::D

18. Nov 24, 2014 #17

Rocket50

Gold Member

In my opinion, hiding online status should still remain a privilege for gold members. However, it would be nice to get rid of the "Last seen" feature all together.

19. Nov 24, 2014 #18
    Thanks for this thread gang, now I'm having tons of fun snooping on all the members and seeing what they're doing. This is even more entertaining than posting :w

20. Nov 25, 2014 #19

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Me too!
    Btw, what does it mean when a Mentor is "performing mentor duties"?
    Is that a metaphor, for washing their hands?

21. Nov 25, 2014 #20

RonL

Gold Member

It probably means their in conference deciding who will cut my thin thread, that I hang on with:eek::D

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook