Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please America

1. Jun 11, 2013 #1

wolram

Gold Member

Keep your discovery programs to your selves, we are having to suffer things like, American chopper
    gold diggers, storage wars etc etc.
    Give us some educational programs please.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 11, 2013 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Hey Woolie!! What, you don't appreciate our fine programming such as Swamp People, My big Redneck Vacation, Bridezillas, Pregnant and dating...

4. Jun 11, 2013 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

How do you know this isn't quality programming if you aren't watching?

5. Jun 11, 2013 #4

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

How dare you ask us to give you educational programming! I'll take my pointless celebrity reality television, child beauty pageants, and pregnant 16 year olds over Mastermind and Mock the Week any day!

In all honesty, at least there's always The Daily Show and The Colbert Report.

6. Jun 11, 2013 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I live in a small southern town where the local newspaper had a front page story about a local resident who was on one of the various "redneck" programs?

7. Jun 11, 2013 #6
    I'm working a new series entitled, "Across the USA with DiracPool and his pet steer" Sure to be a hit

8. Jun 11, 2013 #7
    Cancel your television service and all the stupidity goes away.

Well...I guess you can't do anything about the stupidity out in the real world, but at least it won't be broadcasting into your living room.

9. Jun 11, 2013 #8

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

You misunderstand. For a huge swath of the American populace, these ARE educational programs. You should check out the stats on the number of Americans who believe in ghosts, alien encounters, and other such crap.

10. Jun 11, 2013 #9
    Once the final season of Breaking Bad is done airing this year, I will lose every reason to watch television.

11. Jun 11, 2013 #10
    Sounds good on paper, Eric, but then you'd be worried about all the stupidity you're missing.

12. Jun 11, 2013 #11
    You mean the final half season.

13. Jun 11, 2013 #12
    Seems perpetual doesn't? :rofl: a kinda of "reverse education".

Maybe the truth is that tv's & cable are more affordable today then back when...the viewing population were comparatively more "well to do" & presumably more educated.

14. Jun 11, 2013 #13
    Are you sure you want American educational TV programs?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU5LoCLGMdQ

15. Jun 11, 2013 #14
    Lol, they actually had that same question on the GRE I took......and I got it wrong:confused:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook