General Solution for y'+ay=0 | Find the Solution with Step-by-Step Guide

• Thread starter Math10
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about finding the general solution of y'+ay=0. The equations used are dy/dx=-ay, dy/y=-a dx, ∫ dy/y=∫ -a dx, ln(y)=-ax+C, and y=e^(-ax). The question is whether y=e^(-ax) or y=ce^(-ax) is the correct answer. The final response suggests taking the exponential of both sides to solve for y, but it is unclear what happened to the constant "C" in the solution.
Math10

Homework Statement

Find the general solution of y'+ay=0.

Homework Equations

dy/dx=-ay
dy/y=-a dx
∫ dy/y=∫ -a dx
ln(y)=-ax+C
y=e^(-ax)

The Attempt at a Solution

What I want to know is that is y=e^(-ax) the answer or y=ce^(-ax) is the answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
Math10 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

dy/dx=-ay
dy/y=-a dx
∫ dy/y=∫ -a dx
ln(y)=-ax+C
y=e^(-ax)

What I want to know is that is y=e^(-ax) the answer or y=ce^(-ax) is the answer?

Find which values of c solve the equation. If it is only true for c = 1, THEN y = e^(-ax) will be the answer.

Math10 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

dy/dx=-ay
dy/y=-a dx
∫ dy/y=∫ -a dx
ln(y)=-ax+C
Okay, and now you solve for y by taking the exponential of both sides.

y=e^(-ax)
? What happened to the "C"?

Likes 1 person
Thank you, Hallsoflvy.

1. Why is it important to have someone check my answer?

Having someone check your answer is important because it helps to ensure accuracy and avoid mistakes. It also allows for a second opinion and can help catch any misunderstandings or errors that may have been overlooked.

2. How can I find someone to check my answer?

There are a few ways to find someone to check your answer. You can ask a teacher, tutor, or classmate for help. You can also post your question online on forums or communities related to the subject you need help with.

3. How do I know if my answer is correct after someone checks it?

After someone checks your answer, you can compare it to the correct answer or solution provided. If they are the same, then you can be confident that your answer is correct. If they are different, you can review the explanation and understand where you went wrong.

4. Can I trust someone online to check my answer?

It is always important to be cautious when seeking help online. Make sure to check the credibility of the person offering to check your answer and look for reviews or feedback from others. If possible, try to get multiple opinions to ensure accuracy.

5. How often should I have someone check my answer?

The frequency of having someone check your answer depends on the complexity of the problem and your level of understanding. It is always helpful to have someone check your answer when you are unsure or struggling with a concept, but it is also important to try and solve problems on your own to improve your skills.