Friction Problem: Hill Incline Angle Calculation | Car Engine and Speed

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a car's engine propelling the car up and down a hill at different speeds and the angle of incline of the hill. The equation for power is used to determine the relationship between the forces acting on the car while going up and down the hill. The correct solution is found by equating the equations and using the concept of power.
theskyiscrape

Homework Statement

a car's engine, producing a constant power, propels the car up a hill at a constant speed and down the hill at double the speed. if the coefficient of kinetic friction between the car and the road is 0.28, what is the angle of incline of the hill. assume the hill is symmetric.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

While going upwards, friction and weight component are acting downwards.
∴Ef=Ff+mgsinθ
Ef=μN+mgsinθ
=μmgcosθ +mgsinθ

While going downwards, the frictional force reverses direction. but the velocity is double...So i am assuming that the downwards force is double.
∴2Ff=mgsinθ+Ef
Ef=2μmgcosθ-mgsinθ

equate the two expressions:
μmgcosθ +mgsinθ=2μmgcosθ-mgsinθ
2mgsinθ=2μmgcosθ
tan θ=μ=0.28
θ=tan(-1) 0.28
=15.64 degrees

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand how kinetic friction comes into play if the tires are not skidding; the resistance must be provided by rolling or axle friction, and air drag, but I'll assume that the use of the word 'kinetic' is correct. I'm not following your equations or logic, why do you say the downward force (presumably from the cars engine) is doubled? If the power it delivers is constant, but its speed down is doubled, then what is the relationship between the force it delivers up the incline vs. down the incline?

PhanthomJay said:
I don't understand how kinetic friction comes into play if the tires are not skidding; the resistance must be provided by rolling or axle friction, and air drag, but I'll assume that the use of the word 'kinetic' is correct. I'm not following your equations or logic, why do you say the downward force (presumably from the cars engine) is doubled? If the power it delivers is constant, but its speed down is doubled, then what is the relationship between the force it delivers up the incline vs. down the incline?

that might be the case but axle friction and air drag have not been covered. to be honest, my solution was a stab in the dark...

theskyiscrape said:
that might be the case but axle friction and air drag have not been covered. to be honest, my solution was a stab in the dark...
Well it wasn't too bad of a stab considering the ambiguity in the problem statement. You might want to try again, noting that power = Fv, which is constant up or down the incline, and use Newton 1 to sum all forces equal to zero. Watch your math and plus and minus signs.

PhanthomJay said:
Well it wasn't too bad of a stab considering the ambiguity in the problem statement. You might want to try again, noting that power = Fv, which is constant up or down the incline, and use Newton 1 to sum all forces equal to zero. Watch your math and plus and minus signs.

This is the right answer

P1/P2=F1v1/F2v2
∴F2*2v1=F1v1
F2=0.5F1
so the force while going down is half the force while coming up.
Ff=mgsinθ+0.5Ef
Ef=2Ff-2mgsinθ
equating the equations:
2μmgcosθ-2mgsinθ=μmgcosθ +mgsinθ
μmgcosθ=3mgsinθ
tanθ=μ/3
θ=tan-1(0.0933)
=5.33 degrees..

Looks good!

1. What is friction?

Friction is a force that opposes the motion of two surfaces in contact with each other.

2. How does friction affect motion?

Friction can slow down or stop the motion of an object by creating resistance against its movement.

3. What factors affect the amount of friction?

The amount of friction is affected by the type of surfaces in contact, the force pressing the surfaces together, and the roughness of the surfaces.

4. Can friction be beneficial?

Yes, friction can be beneficial in some cases, such as providing traction for walking or driving, or helping to stop objects from sliding or slipping.

5. How can friction be reduced or increased?

Friction can be reduced by using lubricants or smoother surfaces, and it can be increased by applying more force or using rougher surfaces.