Please check this answer for me (Projectile Motion Question)

• Thread starter an_mui
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motion
In summary, the problem involves two points, A and B, located a distance d apart on the ground. Two rocks are launched simultaneously from these points with equal speeds but at different angles. Each rock lands at the launch point of the other. The goal is to find the minimum distance between the rocks during the flight, given that one of the rocks is launched at an angle \vartheta > 45 degrees with the horizontal. Four base equations are used for solving, and the minimum distance is found to be \frac{d(cos \vartheta + sin \vartheta)}{\sqrt 2 ( 1 - 2 cos \vartheta sin \vartheta)}, with d being the distance between the points and \vartheta being the
an_mui
Two points A and B are located on the ground a certain distance d apart. Two rocks are launched simultaneously from points A and B with equal speeds but at different angles. Each rock lands at the launch point of the other. Knowing that one of the rocks is launched at an angle [tex]\vartheta [/tex]> 45 degrees with the horizontal, what is the minimum distance between the rocks during the flight? Express your answer in terms of d and [tex]\vartheta[/tex]

Hm.. this is a very hard problem for me so I hope anyone could help me check this over, as there are lots of rooms for mistakes. Thanks in advance.

4 base equations that I used for solving:
[tex](1) x = V_{0}cos\vartheta t[/tex]
[tex](2)V_{2x} = V_{0}cos\vartheta[/tex]
[tex](3)y = V_{0}sin\vartheta t + \frac{1}{2}(-g)(t)^2[/tex]
[tex](4)V_{2y} = V_{0}sin\vartheta + (-g)(t)[/tex]

[tex]D^2 = (x_{2} - x_{1})^2 + (y_{2} - {y_{1})^2[/tex]

Rock 1:
[tex]x_{1} = V_{0}cos \vartheta t[/tex]
[tex]y_{1} = V_{0}sin \vartheta t - \frac{1}{2}gt^2[/tex]

Rock 2:
[tex]x_{2} = d - V_{0}cos \phi t[/tex]
[tex]y_{2} = V_{0}cos \phi t - \frac{1}{2}gt^2[/tex]

[tex] cos \phi = cos(90 - \vartheta) = sin \vartheta[/tex]
[tex] sin \phi = sin (90 - \vartheta) = cos \vartheta[/tex]

[tex]x_{2} - x_{1} = d - V_{0}(cos \vartheta + sin \vartheta)t[/tex]
[tex]y_{2} - y_{1} = V_{0}(cos \vartheta - sin \vartheta)t[/tex]

[tex]Let A = d, B = -V_{0}(cos \vartheta + sin \vartheta) and c = V_{0}(cos \vartheta + sin \vartheta)[/tex]

[tex]D^2 = (A + Bt)^2 + (Ct)^2[/tex]
[tex]= A^2 + 2ABt + B^2t^2 + C^2t^2[/tex]
[tex]= A^2 + 2ABt + (B^2 + C^2)t[/tex]

Recall quadratic equation = ax^2 + bx + c
[tex]Let a = B^2 + C^2, b = 2AB and c = A^2[/tex]

Minimum = vertex
[tex]x = \frac{-b}{2a}[/tex]
[tex]... y_{min} = a(\frac{-b}{2a})^2 + b(\frac{-b}{2a}) + c[/tex]
[tex] = \frac{ab^2}{4a^2} - \frac{b^2}{2a} + c[/tex]

[tex]... d_{min} = \sqrt\frac{4A^2B^2 - 2(4A^2B^2) + A^2}{4(B+C)}[/tex]
[tex] = \sqrt\frac{-A^2B^2 + A^2(B^2 + C^2)}{B^2 + C^2}[/tex]
[tex] = \sqrt\frac{A^2C^2}{B^2 + C^2}[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Substitute for A, B and C

[tex] d_{min} = \sqrt\frac{d^2V_{0}^2(cos \vartheta + sin \vartheta)^2}{[-V_{0}(cos \vartheta - sin \vartheta)]^2 + [V_{0}(cos \vartheta - sin \vartheta)]^2}[/tex]

[tex] = \frac{dV_{0}(cos \vartheta + sin \vartheta)}\sqrt { V_{0}^2(1- 2cos \vartheta sin \vartheta) + V_{0}^2(1- 2cos \vartheta sin \vartheta)}[/tex]

sorry for the separate messages.. but the preview keeps showing me my previous equations -_-

[tex] = \frac{dV_{0}(cos \vartheta + sin \vartheta)}{V_{0} \sqrt 2 ( 1 - 2 cos
\vartheta sin \vartheta)}[/tex]

[tex] = \frac{d(cos \vartheta + sin \vartheta)}{\sqrt 2 ( 1 - 2 cos
\vartheta sin \vartheta)}[/tex]

With d = 1 m, and [itex]\vartheta[/itex] = 40 degrees, from your equations I get the minimum distance as 66 m, which does seem a bit too big.

In the quadratic equation you've assumed the distance hits zero. This is not the case:
[tex]A^2 + 2ABt + (B^2 + C^2)t^2 = D^2 \ne 0[/tex]

So, your c should be: c = A2 - D2

EDIT:
I got [tex]|\mathbf{r}|_{min} = \frac{d}{2}\sqrt{(\sin(2 \theta)-1)^2+(2 \sin ^2 \theta - 1)^2}[/tex]
But I'm not too convinced :)

Last edited:
oh yes 66m does seem unreasonably big.

Oh, I suppose there's no use trying to solve t from the quadratic equation (you'd just end up with the same variables).
You should rather figure out a way to compute t when distance is at its minimum.

Hint: There's a mathematical method for this.

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air or space under the influence of gravity. It is a combination of horizontal and vertical motion, and the path of the object is a curved parabola.

2. How is projectile motion calculated?

Projectile motion can be calculated using the equations of motion, which take into account the initial velocity, acceleration due to gravity, and time. These equations can be used to determine the position, velocity, and acceleration of the object at any given time.

3. What factors affect projectile motion?

The factors that affect projectile motion include the initial velocity, angle of launch, acceleration due to gravity, and air resistance. These factors can change the path, height, and distance traveled by the object.

4. What is the difference between a projectile and a free-falling object?

A projectile is an object that is launched into the air with an initial velocity and then follows a curved path under the influence of gravity. A free-falling object is an object that is dropped from a height and falls straight down under the influence of gravity.

5. How is projectile motion used in real life?

Projectile motion is used in real life in a variety of applications, such as sports (e.g. throwing a ball, shooting a basketball), engineering (e.g. launching a rocket, designing a bridge), and military (e.g. firing a missile). It is also used in physics experiments to study the effects of gravity and air resistance on objects in motion.