I don't understand why that is correct.

• Thread starter rejz55
  • Start date
In summary, the volume of a right circular cylinder with a length of 2.3±0.1 and radius of 0.12±0.05m can be calculated using the formula V=πr^2h, where r is the radius and h is the length. To account for uncertainty, we use the propagation of uncertainty formula, resulting in a volume of 0.104049±0.129383m^3. However, another method involves distributing pi to the uncertainty, which gives a slightly different answer of 0.10430±0.09123m^3.
rejz55
[SOLVED] Please check

Homework Statement

Find the volume of a right circular cylinder with a measured length of 2.3±0.1 and radius 0.12±0.05m.

Homework Equations

Propagation of uncertainty Multiplication: (a±uncertaitya) (b±uncertaintyb)= ab± ab[(uncertaintya/a) + (uncertaintyb / b)

Power: (a±Uncertaintya)^n = a^n ± na^n-1 (uncertaintya)

The Attempt at a Solution

radius^2= 0.12^2 ± 2*(.12^1)*0.05
= 0.0144±0.012

=(0.0144)(2.3)(Pi) ± (0.0144) (2.3) (pi) [(0.1/2.3)+(0.0144/0.012)
= .104049 ± .129383

My friend told me her answer is .10430±0.09123..she said she distributed the pi to the uncertainty..

Physics news on Phys.org
rejz55 said:

The Attempt at a Solution

radius^2= 0.12^2 ± 2*(.12^1)*0.05
= 0.0144±0.012

=(0.0144)(2.3)(Pi) ± (0.0144) (2.3) (pi) [(0.1/2.3)+(0.0144/0.012)

you exchanged 0.0144 and 0.012 here.

y not? its the new value of the radius cause the radius should be squared..thanks..

I got it right now..Thanks

1. Why is it important to understand why something is correct?

Understanding why something is correct allows us to not only memorize information, but also to truly grasp the concept and apply it to other situations. It also helps us to critically think and question the information presented to us.

2. What are the steps to understanding why something is correct?

The steps to understanding why something is correct include: breaking down the information into smaller parts, analyzing each part, connecting the parts to form a bigger picture, and continuously asking questions to deepen understanding.

3. How can I improve my understanding of why something is correct?

You can improve your understanding by actively engaging with the material, asking questions, and seeking out additional resources or explanations. It may also help to relate the information to real-life examples or to teach it to someone else.

4. Is it okay to not understand why something is correct?

It is completely normal to not understand something at first. However, it is important to actively work towards understanding it and to seek out help or resources if needed.

5. What are some common misconceptions about understanding why something is correct?

Some common misconceptions include thinking that memorizing information is enough, assuming there is only one correct answer, and believing that understanding is solely based on intelligence. In reality, understanding takes effort, critical thinking, and an open-minded approach.