Please comment this homework of mine

• Thread starter sandra1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Homework
In summary, a counter example to negate the statement that for functions f_1, f_2 :[a, infinity) --> R with c_1 and c_2 being real constants, the integral of the sum of c_1 multiplied by f_1 and c_2 multiplied by f_2 over the interval from a to infinity is equal to c_1 times the integral of f_1 plus c_2 times the integral of f_2 over the same interval is when we choose f_1(x) = x, f_2(x) = -x, c_1 = c_2 = 2, and evaluate the limits to find that the two sides of the equation are not equal.
sandra1

Homework Statement

Give a counter example to negate the statement that for functions f_1, f_2 :[a, infinity) --> R with c_1 and c_2 are real constant, we have:

∫[a,∞] (c_1)(f_1) +(c_2)(f_2) dx = c_1 ∫[a,∞]f_1 dx + c_2 ∫[a,∞] f_2 dx

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Choose f_1(x) = x
f_2(x) = -x
c_1 = c_2 = 2
then ∫[a,∞] (c_1)(f_1) dx = lim [b->∞] ∫[a,b] 2x + (-2x) dx
= lim [b->∞] ∫[a,b] 0 dx = lim [b->∞] C = C (with some constant C)

while:
c_1 ∫[a,∞]f_1 dx + c_2 ∫[a,∞] f_2 dx =
2 lim[b_1->∞]∫[a,b_1]x dx + 2 lim[b_2->∞]∫[a,b_2](-x) dx
= 2 lim[b_1->∞] (1/2)(x^2) [a,b_1] + 2 lim[b_2->∞] (-1/2)(x^2) [a,b_2]
= lim[b_1->∞] (b_1^2) - (a)^2 + lim[b_2->∞] -(b_2)^2 + (a)^2
= lim[b_1->∞] (b_1^2) + lim[b_2->∞] -(b_2)^2 = ∞ - ∞

Physics news on Phys.org
= undefinedHence, for this counter example, we have: ∫[a,∞] (c_1)(f_1) +(c_2)(f_2) dx ≠ c_1 ∫[a,∞]f_1 dx + c_2 ∫[a,∞] f_2 dx

1. Why do I need to comment my homework?

Commenting your homework allows you to explain your thought process and reasoning behind your code. It also helps other readers, such as your instructor or classmates, understand your code more easily.

2. What should I include in my comments?

Your comments should provide a brief overview of what your code does and why you chose to approach the problem in a certain way. You can also include any challenges you faced and how you solved them.

3. How much should I comment my code?

You should aim to comment your code enough so that someone who is not familiar with your code can understand it. This may vary depending on the complexity of your code, but in general, it's better to have more comments than not enough.

4. Can I just copy and paste comments from other sources?

No, it's important to write your own comments in your own words. This not only helps with understanding your code, but it also shows that you have a thorough understanding of your code and have put effort into explaining it.

5. How can I improve my commenting skills?

Practice makes perfect! The more you comment your code, the better you will become at explaining your thought process. You can also ask for feedback from others, such as classmates or your instructor, on how you can improve your comments.