1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please could someone help me with an equation

1. Mar 2, 2005 #1
    Could someone help me?

Edit: Thanks all.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2005 #2
    You know you need to arrive at [itex]aw=\sqrt{2}v[/itex]. Take a good look at the given equations.

Set Equations 1 = 5.

Now use equation 7 to substitute for R.

At this point many terms will cancel off.

Use [itex]A_s = \pi a^2 [/itex] and [itex]J=ma^2/3[/itex]

At this point more terms will cancel off.

Rearrange to get [itex]aw=\sqrt{2}v[/itex]

4. Mar 2, 2005 #3
    re:

Thanks for replying.

I sort of got that before, but I'm not really a maths based person so am useless at rearranging and stuff with equations. This is part of a bigger piece of work, but I need to show how to get that equation.

Sorry if this is asking too much, but could you show each step of the rearrangement for me? :uhh: Would be very grateful...

5. Mar 2, 2005 #4
    I would say that, if showing how you get to the equation is part of the coursework then it's likely to be a useful tool for your course. (Not to mention that basic algebra isn't a bad thing to know generally!)

It's probably best for you in the long run that you have a go and show us where you get in trouble.

Gamma has provided the framework and, as a more explicit tip, notice that [tex] (a \omega) [/tex] appears in one of the equations.

6. Mar 2, 2005 #5
    edit: I agree with jayboy. You need to take a paper and pen and write down the equations down and do it yourself first and come back to the following solution.

Equation 1 = 5

[tex]\frac{mv^2}{R} = \frac{1}{4}\rho (v^2 +a^2w^2)C_LA_s[/tex] -------(1)

From 7 we have, [tex]R = \frac{4J}{\rho C_L\pi a^4}[/tex] -------(2)

Sustitute this in (1)

[tex]\frac{mv^2}{4J}\rho C_L\pi a^4 = \frac{\rho}{4}(v^2 +a^2w^2)C_LA_s[/tex]

cancelling [tex]\rho C_L[/tex] in both sides and substituting [tex]A_s = \pi a^2[/tex] you get

[tex]\frac{mv^2}{J} a^2= (v^2 +a^2w^2)[/tex]

Substitute [tex]J=\frac{ma^2}{3}[/tex]

cancell ma^2 in the left side and rearrange to get

[tex]2v^2= a^2w^2[/tex]

[itex]aw=\sqrt{2}v[/itex]

7. Mar 2, 2005 #6
    re:

oh right!

I have actually got about 6 sides of A4 working from before asking the question.

I kept ending up with 2Vsquared = (aw)2
    I didn't know that you could change (aw)2 to a2w2

which would then go to root2v=aw right?

I thought I kept getting 2Vsquared = (aw)2 because I was making a mistake in the rearrangement (which is why I need to see each step), but all along it was because of not expanding the brackets?

:yuck:

8. Mar 2, 2005 #7

learningphysics

Homework Helper

You almost had it right here. You can immediately take square roots of both sides, to get sqrt(2)V = aw.

You don't need to change (aw)2 to a2w2. That's an unnecessary step.

9. Mar 2, 2005 #8
    :approve: Thanks very much everyone.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?