Debunking the Myth of Dark Suckers: A Closer Look at the Bell Labs Discovery

• Thread starter BosonJaw
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolved around a recent discovery at Bell Labs where it was claimed that light sources can actually absorb darkness. The speaker found this claim to be nonsensical and asked for confirmation from others, stating that it is the responsibility of the friend to provide evidence for such a claim. The overall consensus was that the story is inconsistent with our understanding of light and is most likely a long-standing joke.
BosonJaw
A friend said he saw something on CNN about a recent discovery at bell labs. That a light source, instead of propagating radiant energy actually sucks up darkness. I had to laugh, so here I am asking the pros. Personally, I say nonsense.

Physics news on Phys.org
The onus is not on you or us to debunk- it's on your friend to come up with a reliable source or evidence for his claims.

However, people here can and will confirm that the story is inconsistent with what we know about light.

1. What are "Dark Suckers"?

"Dark Suckers" is a term used in a humorous analogy to describe light bulbs. The concept suggests that light bulbs do not actually emit light, but rather, they suck in darkness.

2. Is there any scientific basis for the concept of "Dark Suckers"?

No, the concept of "Dark Suckers" is purely a joke and has no scientific basis. Light bulbs work by converting electricity into light, not by sucking in darkness.

3. Why do people believe in the concept of "Dark Suckers"?

People may believe in "Dark Suckers" because it is a humorous and entertaining analogy. However, it is important to remember that it is simply a joke and not based on any scientific facts.

4. Are there any real-life examples of "Dark Suckers"?

No, there are no real-life examples of "Dark Suckers." It is solely a concept used in jokes and humor.

5. How can I debunk the concept of "Dark Suckers" to others?

The best way to debunk the concept of "Dark Suckers" is to explain the science behind how light bulbs work. By understanding the principles of electricity and light, it becomes clear that light bulbs do not suck in darkness but rather produce light. You can also point out that the concept of "Dark Suckers" is not based on any scientific evidence and is simply a joke.