What is Charge? Understanding the Fundamental Property of Particles

• Thread starter Yaaks
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Charge
In summary, charge is an elementary physical concept that is defined as a property of particles. It is one of the three fundamental properties of particles, along with mass and energy. Charge is measured by the strength of the electromagnetic interaction and can vary depending on the energy scale being observed. The Higgs boson also plays a role in the generation of mass through spontaneous symmetry breaking, but it is not directly responsible for generating charge. Charge is conserved in all four interactions of nature due to the U(1) Gauge-invariance, and the Higgs field itself has charged components. However, there is still some uncertainty surrounding the exact nature of charge and its relationship with the Higgs boson.
Yaaks
'Charge' is a property defined in particles. How do we say, for eg; 'Electron is negatively charged.' ?
What is Charge? :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
weve talked about this before. when u tell me what mass and energy acctualy are I am going to tell you what charge is.

you simple have to exept that charge, mass and energy are propeties that particles have. we need a few axioms to describe everything

Yeah, i believe so...
Inflation theory suggests that Mass is a property defined by particle interactions with the Higgs boson..
Super-String theory says all these properties are defined by the vibrational patterns of the strings..
but, there is a bit of uncertainity here which is beyond physical knowledge..

thats just a theory, but then why do the higgs boson create the effect we feel as mass? can't then charge be a particle like the higgs boson? but then what makes it give the effect of a charge? is energy a particle as well that collect around things that have energy? and if the higgs boson effect it must exist different amount of higgs bosons around each object, cause the mass increase with the speed and the speed is relative to the observer. so for one observer it might be 5 billion higgs around a particle but then 50 billion for a observer that is at movement relative to the particle. and so on.

charge is just the coupling constant of the EM interaction. It expresses the strength of the EM interaction. Charge can change depending on what energy scale you look at the EM phenomena. This is why you have both bare charge and dressed (ie the charge we measure) charge. These concepts arise from perturbation theory in quantum field theory where a particle is surrounded by virtual particles that are a direct manifestation of the particle's interactions going on...

regards
marlon

If you can formulate a theory for HIGGS-LIKE field for charges, YOU WILL BE VERY VERY FAMOUS. INDEED, MORE FAMOUS THAN HIGGS!

samalkhaiat said:
If you can formulate a theory for HIGGS-LIKE field for charges, YOU WILL BE VERY VERY FAMOUS. INDEED, MORE FAMOUS THAN HIGGS!

What are you talking about ?

The Higgs system does apply on charges, you know ?

marlon

I have seen particle without charge, but I never seen or heard about charge without particle. Have you? Higgs mechanism is about generating mass through spontaneous symmetry breaking. "you start with massless particles you end up with massive ones"
Charges generating mechanism through Higgs? are you joking?

samalkhaiat said:
Charges generating mechanism through Higgs?

Who ever said that ?

I do not know where you got this but you must have misinterpreted somebody's words here. Again, i ask you what your point is ?

marlon

A subtle, related thing. Suppose that you have two fermions of different charges but similar in all the other aspects. What does it happens with Pauli Principle?

My guess is that you can distinguish both particles and then it does not apply. But then, what does it happen in the limit of very weak coupling constants. Ie the particles have nominally different charge but such difference does not have dynamical effect. Does Pauli switch on? How?

READ POST#4 AND YOUR POST #7. My point is that; charge is elementary physical concept. It is a coserved number in all four interactions of nature,this is because of the U(1) Gauge-invariance. The Higgs field itself has charged components. And as you correctly stated in post #5 it measures the strenth (coupling) of The EM interaction.

1. What is charge?

Charge is a fundamental physical property of matter that describes the amount of electrical force a particle possesses. It can be positive or negative and is measured in units of Coulombs (C).

2. How is charge created?

Charge can be created through the transfer of electrons between objects. When two objects come into contact, electrons can be transferred from one to the other, resulting in a difference in charge between the two objects.

3. What are the different types of charge?

The two types of charge are positive and negative. Positive charge is associated with protons, which have a positive charge, while negative charge is associated with electrons, which have a negative charge.

4. What is the relationship between charge and electricity?

Electricity is the flow of electrons from a negatively charged object to a positively charged object. The amount of charge an object has determines the strength of the electrical force it can exert and the amount of current that can flow through it.

5. How is charge measured?

Charge is measured in units of Coulombs (C) using an instrument called an electrometer. It can also be measured indirectly by measuring the electric field it produces or the current it generates in a circuit.