Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please Define 'Charge'

1. Aug 17, 2005 #1
    'Charge' is a property defined in particles. How do we say, for eg; 'Electron is negatively charged.' ?
    What is Charge? :confused:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 17, 2005 #2
    weve talked about this before. when u tell me what mass and energy acctualy are im gonna tell you what charge is.

you simple have to exept that charge, mass and energy are propeties that particles have. we need a few axioms to describe everything

4. Aug 17, 2005 #3
    Yeah, i believe so...
    Inflation theory suggests that Mass is a property defined by particle interactions with the Higgs boson..
    Super-String theory says all these properties are defined by the vibrational patterns of the strings..
    but, there is a bit of uncertainity here which is beyond physical knowledge..

5. Aug 17, 2005 #4
    thats just a theory, but then why do the higgs boson create the effect we feel as mass? cant then charge be a particle like the higgs boson? but then what makes it give the effect of a charge? is energy a particle aswell that collect around things that have energy? and if the higgs boson effect it must exist different amount of higgs bosons around each object, cause the mass increase with the speed and the speed is relative to the observer. so for one observer it might be 5 billion higgs around a particle but then 50 billion for a observer that is at movement relative to the particle. and so on.

6. Aug 17, 2005 #5
    charge is just the coupling constant of the EM interaction. It expresses the strength of the EM interaction. Charge can change depending on what energy scale you look at the EM phenomena. This is why you have both bare charge and dressed (ie the charge we measure) charge. These concepts arise from perturbation theory in quantum field theory where a particle is surrounded by virtual particles that are a direct manifestation of the particle's interactions going on...

regards
    marlon

7. Aug 31, 2005 #6

samalkhaiat

Science Advisor

If you can formulate a theory for HIGGS-LIKE field for charges, YOU WILL BE VERY VERY FAMOUS. INDEED, MORE FAMOUS THAN HIGGS!

8. Sep 1, 2005 #7
    What are you talking about ?

The Higgs system does apply on charges, you know ?

marlon

9. Sep 1, 2005 #8

samalkhaiat

Science Advisor

I have seen particle without charge, but I never seen or heard about charge without particle. Have you? Higgs mechanism is about generating mass through spontaneous symmetry breaking. "you start with massless particles you end up with massive ones"
    Charges generating mechanism through Higgs? are you joking?

10. Sep 2, 2005 #9
    Who ever said that ???

I do not know where you got this but you must have misinterpreted somebody's words here. Again, i ask you what your point is ?

marlon

11. Sep 2, 2005 #10

arivero

Gold Member

A subtle, related thing. Suppose that you have two fermions of different charges but similar in all the other aspects. What does it happens with Pauli Principle?

My guess is that you can distinguish both particles and then it does not apply. But then, what does it happen in the limit of very weak coupling constants. Ie the particles have nominally different charge but such difference does not have dynamical effect. Does Pauli switch on? How?

12. Sep 2, 2005 #11

samalkhaiat

Science Advisor

READ POST#4 AND YOUR POST #7. My point is that; charge is elementary physical concept. It is a coserved number in all four interactions of nature,this is because of the U(1) Gauge-invariance. The Higgs field itself has charged components. And as you correctly stated in post #5 it measures the strenth (coupling) of The EM interaction.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?