Do Not Hyphenate: Tips for Proper Grammar

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolved around humorous wedding announcements, particularly in regards to combining double-barreled last names. Participants in the conversation shared their own experiences and jokes related to this topic, with some wondering if people are aware of how funny their names may sound when combined. Others suggested that these announcements could potentially make it to a show like The Tonight Show.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
http://img505.imageshack.us/img505/1879/hyphenate1bw9.jpg
http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/4619/hyphenate2jo1.jpg
http://img505.imageshack.us/img505/613/hyphenate3lx9.jpg
http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/9858/hyphenate4te3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Too bad my name doesn't lend itself to a hilarious wedding announcement...

lol, thanks for the laugh. Those are great.

And here I was expecting a grammar lecture. :rolleyes:
Good stuff, Ivan. :rofl:

Taken from the The Tonight Show or something? :rofl: Thanks.

But it makes you wonder, are people so ignorant of what they send to the papers? :uhh:

Most excellent post to wake up with :rofl:

Smashing :smile:

Loved it. If Ivana Trump married, in succession, Orson Bean (actor), King Oscar (of Norway), Louis B. Mayer (of MGM), and Norbert Wiener (mathematician), she would then be Ivana Bean Oscar Mayer Wiener. Wonder when that will happen?

Excuse me, I need to go find out my sister's fiance's last name...

russ_watters said:
Excuse me, I need to go find out my sister's fiance's last name...

:rofl::rofl: well, here's the first PF member with a potentially funny double-barrelled name!

Unfortunately, my name couldn't possibly give anything exciting when coupled to another!

cristo said:
:rofl::rofl: well, here's the first PF member with a potentially funny double-barrelled name!

Contrary to his claim, JohnDuck seems a promising candidate! :biggrin:

This is hilarious! The worst part is that these people have to know. How could you not?

Last edited:
I'm sure they do. A friend of mine is recently engaged and very glad to be trading in her last name for his, but also realizing the combination is really hilarious, so I'm not sure what they'll put in the papers as an announcement. I think they're just going to suck it up and have fun with it and maybe hope they get paid $100 or something if it makes it to the Tonight Show.

Moonbear said:
they get paid $100 or something if it makes it to the Tonight Show.
That answers my question. :biggrin:

LOL .. why don't they just swap the order ... lol ...

1. What is the purpose of the "Do Not Hyphenate" rule in grammar?

The "Do Not Hyphenate" rule in grammar is meant to clarify and streamline the use of hyphens in writing. It helps to avoid confusion and inconsistency in the placement of hyphens, which can affect the meaning and readability of a sentence.

2. When should I use a hyphen in a compound word?

A hyphen should be used in a compound word when it is used as an adjective before a noun. For example: well-known actress, high-quality product. It should also be used when there is a potential for confusion or misinterpretation without a hyphen, such as with double letters or words that could be misread, like "re-cover" and "recover".

3. Can I use a hyphen to connect two words that are not part of a compound word?

No, a hyphen should only be used to connect two words that form a compound word. Using a hyphen to connect two words that are not part of a compound word is considered incorrect grammar.

4. Is it ever acceptable to hyphenate words at the end of a line in writing?

In general, it is best to avoid hyphenating words at the end of a line in writing. However, in some cases, it may be necessary for formatting purposes. If possible, try to reword the sentence to avoid hyphenating at the end of a line.

5. Are there any exceptions to the "Do Not Hyphenate" rule?

Yes, there are a few exceptions to the "Do Not Hyphenate" rule. Some words, like "cooperate" and "coordinate", are commonly hyphenated in British English but are not in American English. Additionally, some style guides may have specific rules for hyphenation, so it's important to check the guidelines for the specific publication or organization you are writing for.