Why Did the Author Choose to Self-Delete Their Post?

• Thread starter checkitagain
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a member's posts being deleted due to violating forum rules and the member being advised to read the rules before posting. The member's posts were described as useless nitpicking and the member was asked if they were here to learn/teach or just nitpick. The member defended their posts by stating they never want something attributed to them that they didn't claim and that the replier was not paying attention. The conversation ends with the original post being self-deleted and the thread being locked.
checkitagain
Self Deleted

(I didn't see anywhere to even type "Post Deleted"
in place of the original heading as a heads-up.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Was one of them by chance the one where you brought up the 48/2(9+3) thing, despite us already having a stickied thread on the topic telling you not to do just that? I.e. you completely ignored that thread to post your ignorant arguments? Just making sure.

Please read the rules before posting. Your posts were deleted for good reason.

If you disagree with our decisions, feel free to contact a mentor. We'll look into it. We won't discuss it publicly, however.

Last edited:

Char. Limit said:
Was one of them by chance the one where you
brought up the 48/2(9+3) thing,...

No, that "thing" was posted after the (first) three were removed.

checkitagain said:
No, that "thing" was posted after the (first) three were removed.

I checked one of your deleted posts (it was in a quote, and I guess they hadn't deleted the quote). To me, it looked like useless nitpicking of the highest order. Others of your posts seem to follow a similar vein. Are you actually here to learn/teach or just to nitpick over other user's word choice?

Ccccccccccccccccc

Char. Limit said:
To me, it looked like 1) useless 2) nitpicking
of the 3)highest order.

That is your opinion of all three highlighted above.
I never want something attributed to me that I never claimed in a post.
If the OP had stated it as a fact, then there would have been no reason
for the OP to ask it. This is a case of the replier not paying careful
enough attention to what was stated/asked.

checkitagain said:
That is your opinion of all three highlighted above.

Well, duh. That's why I said "to me". Just to check, is English your first language?

I never want something attributed to me that I never claimed in a post.

I'm not even sure why this sentence is here (seriously, no one attributed anything to you that you never claimed).

If the OP had stated it as a fact, then there would have been no reason
for the OP to ask it.

It was a simple word error. It didn't need to be called out, and then the calling out defended. Do you really not see that?

This is a case of the replier not paying careful
enough attention to what was stated/asked.

...Sigh. Just sigh.

checkitagain said:
Self Deleted

Since the OP self-deleted his post, it seems that he got the answers he wanted. Locked.

1. Why should we not remove posts just because we disagree with their content?

Removing posts simply because we disagree with their content goes against the principles of scientific inquiry. It is important to have open and respectful discussions about differing opinions and perspectives in order to advance knowledge and understanding.

2. What if the content of a post is harmful or offensive?

In cases where a post contains harmful or offensive content, it is important to address it through respectful dialogue and education rather than simply removing it. Removing posts without addressing the underlying issues does not promote a healthy and inclusive scientific community.

3. Can we still challenge the validity of a post or its sources?

Yes, it is important to critically evaluate and challenge the validity of posts and their sources. However, this should be done through respectful and evidence-based arguments rather than simply removing the post because we disagree with it.

4. What if a post contains misinformation or false information?

If a post contains misinformation or false information, it is important to address it by providing correct and accurate information rather than simply removing the post. This allows for a more constructive and educational discussion.

5. How can we ensure that all posts are respectful and contribute to scientific discourse?

It is the responsibility of all members of the scientific community to uphold respectful and inclusive behavior in discussions. Encouraging open-mindedness, critical thinking, and evidence-based arguments can help foster a positive and productive scientific discourse.