Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please don't feed the people

1. Oct 14, 2007 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wow, talk about a story that is hard to give positive spin!
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2007 #2
    My opinion on this is that giving food to a homeless person is like giving food to a random person walking down the street. They are human, but they are just looked down upon.
  4. Oct 14, 2007 #3
    I'm just about positive the problem wasn't feeding the homeless, but attracting them in large numbers to the park. As you see later in the article they wanted to designate the park "Children Only". I know from experience here that anywhere these nice churches set up free meal give aways for the homless pretty much become unusable by other people. You can no longer lounge around the park enjoying it cause you're getting hit up for change, and you also see a lot of disturbing behavior you wouldn't want your kids to see.

It's great that people do feed them, but some thought should be given to how they are affecting the area where they distribute the meals. They used to do it downtown here in a vacant lot. The homeless would start gathering before the meal, and some pretty much never left the block.
  5. Oct 15, 2007 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No doubt. Nonetheless, passing a law that exclusively forbids feeding homeless people is really too much to believe. The law was struck down because you can't single out a particular group for non-feeding.
  6. Oct 15, 2007 #5
    I doubt if there's a specific law prohibiting this, but it's clear from existing anti-discrimination laws that such a thing would be against the grain. Whoever proposed this law lost sight of that and has probably now lost credibility in future attempts to keep the parks family friendly.
  7. Oct 15, 2007 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I should hope!!! They ought to be tossed out on their butts for being idiots; not to mention heartless.
  8. Oct 15, 2007 #7
    It's more complex that that:

However, the homeless don't like the control this gives the social service agencies:

9. Oct 15, 2007 #8

Staff: Mentor

I can't believe a government official would say "within a faith based environment". WTH??

I guess Huff has never been to the DMV or ANY government agency.
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2007
  10. Oct 15, 2007 #9
    My guess is that the 'someone', who originally wrote the law, saw that special on the tourists feeding the bears at Yellowstone (and why they banned that and garbage dumps)
  11. Oct 15, 2007 #10
    Especially in Las Vegas. You may recall Stephen King chose that city as the gathering place of the forces of Evil in The Stand.

Anyway, I, too, found that to be hard to believe coming from a government official's mouth. I'm thinking it was meant as an attempt to make sure he hadn't just alientated church groups who feed the homeless by having just ascribed responsibility for this to Social Services. In other words, he hadn't completely composed the thought before he started speaking.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?